African Research Universities Alliance (ARUA) Post-doctoral Fellowship 2019
Deadline: May 31, 2019
Applications for the African Research Universities Alliance (ARUA) Post-doctoral Fellowship 2019 are now open. The African Research Universities Alliance (ARUA) is seeking post-doctoral fellows to join a five year research programme entitled ‘Mobility and Sociality in Africa’s Emerging Urban.’
This initiative is a scholarly response to unprecedented levels of urbanisation and mobility driven by conflict, ambition, and respatialising economies. It is intended to develop African-based contributions to theories of human mobility and transforming modes of social engagement, authority, representation and expression.
This initiative brings together five African Universities dedicated to cultivating a generation of African scholars who can reshape global social theory and scholarly conversations on mobility, cities and social change. It promises to open new scholarly frontiers and enhance the quality of pedagogy and partnerships while positively transforming the continent’s universities. The initiative is dedicated to fostering interdisciplinarity, engagement with the arts, and creative research and outreach methodologies.
Fellows may be embedded at one of the following institutions:
- University of Cape Town
- University of Ghana, Legon
- University of Nairobi
- University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
- University of Zimbabwe, Harare
- Applicants must have completed an appropriate social science or humanities PhD by the start of the fellowship. Special preference will be given to those who have studied or worked with ARUA members or associated universities. These include Addis Ababa University; University of Cape Town; University of Dar es Salaam; Cheikh Anta Diop University; University of Ibadan; University of KwaZulu-Natal; University of Ghana; University of Lagos;Obafemi Awolowo University; Makerere University; University of Nairobi; National University of Rwanda; University of Pretoria; Rhodes University; University of Stellenbosch; University of Witwatersrand;
- Only students who have completed their degrees within the last three years will be considered;
- Post-doctoral fellows will be expected to be based for a one-year period at one of the five partner universities. Fellows will be expected to participate in an exchange programme or collaborative activity with one or more of the project partners;
- Fellows are expected to participate actively in University life while dedicating most of their time preparing previous research for publication in scholarly outlets. During their time they will be expected to lead one or more seminar on their work and prepare for future research initiatives.
Applications should include:
- A cover letter summarising past research, qualifications, and the location for the post-doctoral fellow. Applicants should also indicate if they would consider being hosted by an alternative institution;
- A complete academic CV;
- A short proposal (1500 word maximum) outlining a yearlong research and publishing programme;
- Three professional reference letters speaking to abilities to publish, work collaboratively, and development a future research agenda;
- A writing sample of not more than 15,000 words (e.g., book or dissertation chapter; article).
All queries and application materials must be emailed to [email protected]
For more information, visit ARUA Fellowship.