Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) Okayama Award 2019 ($3,000 Global Prize)
Deadline: July 5, 2019
Applications are open for the ESD Okayama Award 2019. The award conducted by Okayama City and ESD Okayama Award Steering Committee will reward outstanding ESD practices in local communities around the world to support the organizations carrying out ESD activities, and also showcase and promote ESD.
Okayama City has also been selected as one of the UNESCO Key Partners of the Global Action Programme on ESD (GAP) in Priority Action Area 5 (Accelerating sustainable solutions at the local level), and they are committed to further advancing ESD beyond 2015. With this purpose, Okayama City launched the ‘ESD Okayama Award’ in 2015. The ESD Okayama Award is organized by Okayama City and the ESD Okayama Award Steering Board, composed of organizations which have been promoting ESD in Japan and around the world. The Award aims to showcase good practices worldwide and to further advance ESD.
- The Global Prize of US $3,000 will be given to up to two projects.
- Award winners will be invited to the Award Ceremony on November 24, 2019 in Okayama, Japan, and will be requested to give a presentation on the project. The detailed information will be sent to award winners.
- Organizations based in any country, including Japan, implementing ESD activities in local communities are eligible to apply for the Global Prize.
- Only one application per organization can be accepted.
- Projects which received the Global Prize in the past are not eligible.
- The organization whose project received the Global Award in the past can apply for this Award with other projects.
- The project should have already been running for at least two years at April 2019.
The Global Prize will be given to outstanding projects that can serve as global models contributing to the promotion ESD in local communities. Submitted projects will be reviewed by ESD experts based on the following criteria.
- Vision: Project outlines local issues, and objectives are clearly stated.
- Collaboration: Project has a (clear) implementation structure with various collaborating stakeholders (individuals and organizations).
- Integration: Project integrates environmental, social, and economic dimensions of ESD.
- Empowerment: Project takes educational approaches such as interactive methods for problem-solving and promoting actions to shape a sustainable future. Project also leads to behavior change of individuals, including the transformation of values, attitudes and actions, and to the empowerment of local communities.
- Innovation: The project demonstrates an innovative approach to ESD.
- Future Strategy: Project is expected to be developed and expanded in the future and it will bring positive influences to other communities as well.
Materials to be submitted:
- Complete the application form below
- The form must be written in either English or Japanese.
- The form can be downloaded from the URL below.
- Upload the Movie or Slideshow of the Project
- Please prepare a Movie or Slideshow of the project and upload it on YouTube or Vimeo.
- Please note that a Movie or Slideshow cannot be over 5 minutes.
- Please upload the data on ‘YouTube’ or ‘Vimeo’, and write the URL on the column of the Application Form. Please do NOT send the data by e-mail.
- If you have several Movies or Slideshows, please select ONE and give its URL.
- The Movie or Slideshow of the nominated project will be used for the online voting.
- Supporting Documents
- You can attach relevant Supporting Documents to the Application Form. Supporting documents cannot be more than 5 pages (A4 Paper) in total.
- Documents exceeding 5 pages will not be accepted or considered.
Please send application documents by e-mail to the Secretariat. ESD Okayama Award Secretariat (at Okayama City ESD Promotion Division) E-mail: email@example.com. Please write “ESD Okayama Award Application” in the subject line of your e-mail. Note that the data must be less than 7 MB.
For more information, visit ESD Okayama Award.