British Embassy in Somalia Young Somali Voices Journalism Prize 2019
Deadline: June 7, 2019
Applications are invited for the British Embassy in Somalia Young Somali Voices Journalism Prize 2019. The British Embassy is seeking short videos and photographs from media students and early career journalists based in Somalia including Somaliland which demonstrate a positive, original and unique story about Somalia.
To celebrate World Press Freedom Day and the ‘Global Conference for Media Freedom’ (#DefendMediaFreedom), to be hosted by the governments of the United Kingdom and Canada in July 2019, the British Embassy Mogadishu is delighted to announce the launch of Young Somali Voices Journalism Prize (YSV).
This award will highlight the importance of defending media freedom and demonstrate the key role that the media play in creating an inclusive and open society in Somalia. It will also seek to identify and project young Somali voices and positive stories about Somalia.
- Open to media students and early career journalists (3 years work experience and below, directly employed or freelance);
- Applications from women and marginalised groups are particularly encouraged;
- All entrants must be Somali nationals and have a valid travel document;
- Only one entry is allowed per individual.
To apply, submit:
- A video of up to 2 minutes highlighting a positive and unique story about any aspect of life in Somalia; the video can be in Somali but must have English subtitles
- A black and white or colour photograph depicting a positive and unique story about Somalia; the photograph should have a title or short caption
- The video/photograph via WeTransfer or Google Drive to UKinSomalia@gmail.com
- A one-page CV which includes your name, date of birth, education, employment history, a copy of your travel document and your entry
For more information, visit British Embassy in Somalia Journalism Prize.