Human Rights Defenders of the Year Award 2019
Deadline: July 15, 2019
Nominations are open for the Human Rights Defenders of the Year Award 2019. The aim of the award is to honour and publicly recognize the important work of Human Rights Defenders (HRDs) in Kenya, by giving out awards to men and women who have demonstrated courage and impact in the promotion and protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms.
The objectives of these awards are to:
- Honour the extraordinary work of HRDs in the promotion and protection of human rights;
- Profile the work of HRDs and challenges they face as agents of social change and transformation;
- Recognise and appreciate the human rights work of young and upcoming HRDs in Kenya and support talent;
- Enhance the safety and protection of all HRDs in Kenya.
The awards are presented in three categories:
- The Munir Mazrui Lifetime achievement award
- The Human Rights Defender of the year award
- The upcoming Human Rights Defender of the year award.
The winners will receive:
- A cash award of $1,000
- A plaque with the HRDs name on it
- And will be guests at the 2020 HRD award ceremony
- Nominee must be in Kenya;
- Grassroots based HRD
- Demonstrable impact of the HRDs human rights work in the community
- ‘Civil courage’ of the HRD in his/her human rights work
- Demonstrated leadership, innovation and creativity in his/her human rights work
- Contribution to the development of a human rights based approach within his/her county in regards to the thematic area of focus
- Degree of difficulty of the achievement and sacrifices made
- Visibility derived from award to enhance the capacity of the HRD to promote human rights and active citizenship
- The HRD should have a link to the community and his/her work should have built or should be working towards building a movement.
- The HRD should be a seasoned or upcoming HRD.
All nomination forms should be sent back to the NCHRD-K via email@example.com with a clear subject line “HRD AWARD NOMINATION” by the deadline.
For more information, visit Human Rights Defenders of the Year Award.