Apply to attend Hivos African Crossroads 2019: Sense the City – Mombasa, Kenya
Deadline: June 23, 2019
Apply to attend “African Crossroads 2019: Sense the City.” African Crossroads is a participant-driven event, during which you can present content, organize a workshop, exhibit an artwork, display an innovation, do a performance or share other ideas!
African Crossroads, a four-day event presented by Hivos, will gather 150 participants from November 20 to 23 in Mombasa, Kenya, to connect, collaborate, and explore the diversity of African cities in all its multi-sensory aspects. How do the African cities of today and tomorrow sound, taste, feel or move, and how do these cities sense us in return? On November 23, they will showcase their findings.
Are you living or working in Africa, and interested in exploring cutting-edge trends in art, technology, design, and entrepreneurship coming out of the continent? Would you like to join a community of future-looking Africans working to positively shape Africa’s future? Apply to attend “African Crossroads 2019: Sense the City,” which will take place on November 20, 21, 22 and 23, 2019 in Mombasa, Kenya.
African Crossroads is a community of future-oriented African thinkers and doers which meets annually to exchange and critically reflect on the most cutting-edge entrepreneurial, scientific, artistic, and technological developments anchored in African intellectual and technological traditions. Through design exhibitions, invigorating workshops, art installations, and more, this three-day event will spark deep discussions about the latest inventions and innovations in science, art, and technology.
Organized by Hivos, African Crossroads convenes a yearly, cross-continental and multidisciplinary gathering for African artists, entrepreneurs, computer scientists, designers, researchers, and philosophers to exchange knowledge and to positively shape the future of African societies.
Be part of a community of thinkers and doers who are shaping Africa.
- TRACK #1—TASTE: This track will focus on the latest developments, enterprises, and innovations in urban food to unveil the taste of the African cities. What is street food and sustainable food in the 21st century?
- TRACK #2—SOUND: This track will focus on the voices of the African cities, the oral history, storytellers, music industries etc. on the continent. What are the sounds of the African cities?
- TRACK #3—FEEL: This track will focus on the urban fabric of the city. How do we feel the city? What is the skin of the city? We will explore fashion and other ways the city touches us.
- TRACK #4—MOVE: This track will focus on the movements and energy of the African cities, and will spark discussions on energy streams, urban transportations and logistics. How does the city move us?
- African thinkers and doers who are shaping the African continent in various industries such as business, arts, sciences.
- You must be living or working in Africa
- Be interested in exploring cutting-edge trends in art, technology, design, and entrepreneurship coming out of the continent
- Please note that the main language of the event will be English. They can accommodate those who feel more comfortable presenting in French through translation.
- Submission of application through online form by June 23, 2019 by 5pm (EST)
- Applicant selection is made by a curatorial board between June 24 and July 15, 2019
- Selected candidates are notified by July 19, 2019
For more information, visit African Crossroads.