Westpac Future Leaders Scholarships 2020 for Postgraduate Studies in Australia (up to $120,000)
Deadline: September 4, 2019
Applications now open for 2020 Westpac Future Leaders Scholarships. The search for Australia’s next generation of innovators has commenced. Now in its fifth year, the Westpac Future Leaders Scholarship is a postgraduate scholarship program designed to attract outstanding young Australians who have the ideas and drive to help shape a better future.
Westpac Future Leaders Scholarships are among the most powerful development scholarships in Australia. 17 scholarships are available across the Group of Eight universities, each valued up to $120,000 per student over two or three years. The scholarship’s major differentiator is a nine-month bespoke Leadership Development Program and the opportunity to spend up to six months abroad to gain global experience.
Scholarship recipients must undertake their postgraduate studies at one of the following eight universities, in a field of world-class standing:
- The University of Adelaide
- The Australian National University
- The University of Melbourne
- Monash University
- The University of Queensland
- The University of Sydney
- University of New South Wales
In addition to up to $120,000 in financial support, successful recipients gain lifelong membership to the Westpac 100 Scholars Network. Each year the Network grows by 100 scholars from each of the five scholarships offered by the Westpac Scholars Trust.
The scholarship supports individuals who are undertaking post-graduate study that will ultimately make a difference to Australia in one of three areas; technology and innovation, fostering Australian-Asian ties, and enabling positive social change.
They are looking for switched-on, curious thinkers who have the inspiration, drive and ideas to change Australia – and potentially the world – for the better.
Open to scholars who have:
- Who have demonstrated academic excellence and are eager to undertake a PhD or full time Masters at one of nine universities, in a field of well above world standard.
- Passionate about strengthening Australia’s ties with Asia, driving technology and innovation or enabling positive social change.
- With a bold vision to contribute to the growth and prosperity of Australia who can articulate this vision and how postgraduate study will help make it real.
- Possessing a desire and potential to lead.
- Keen to be inspired by others, build networks and collaborate across diverse disciplines.
- Confident in taking on challenges.
- A desire to be part of and contribute to the Westpac 100 Scholars Network.
- You are an Australian citizen or permanent resident (NZ citizens who are not also Australian citizens are not eligible).
- You have completed your first undergraduate degree after 1 September 2014, OR will complete by 31 December 2019.
- You have achieved or are on track to achieve an average result of H1 or H2A equivalent (approx. 75 WAM).
- You have chosen to undertake a full-time Masters by coursework or research or a PhD at one of our nine participating universities.
- You have chosen a field of study which, for PhD and Masters by research applicants has an ERA four digit FOR rating of “well above world standard” and for Masters by coursework applicants, must be in area of world-class standing.
- You must commence study in 2020 (Jan – Dec 2020), not before.
- Your proposed program of study:
- Can be in any field and must be relevant to the Trust’s focus areas
- Include international opportunities, such as a period of study at an overseas university, an invited presentation at a conference significant to the discipline, or a period of internship or placement at an overseas organisation, which will develop your leadership skills and global networks
- Underpin a worthy and viable post-study plan that benefits Australia
- Funding requests for the purpose of medical research as defined in the ARC Medical Research Policy available on the Australian Research Council website will not be considered; MD, juris doctor programs or equivalent are also excluded.
- Masters by coursework programs must be completed within two years.
- You are able to supply two letters of reference – one academic reference and one personal reference.
- For PhD and Masters by Research applicants, you must also supply one letter of support from either your supervisor, dean of the faculty or head of school or equivalent.
- 18 June 2019: Applications open
- 4 September 2019: Applications close (11:59pm, AEST)
- 9-10 December 2019: National Assessment Centre in Sydney
- December 2019: Notification of outcome
- 16-21 February 2020: Leadership Development Program: Sydney Residential
- 2-3 April 2020: Westpac Scholars’ Summit
For more information, visit Westpac Future Leaders Scholarship.