Olive Writers’ Summer Camp 2019 for Young Moroccans (Fully-funded)
Deadline: July 7, 2019
Applications are open for the Olive Writers’ Summer Camp 2019. The Summer Camp brings young writers from across Morocco together to spend six days at an intensive writing residency in Casablanca.
Participants will attend daily creative writing workshops (offered in Arabic or English), attend lectures by renowned writers, learn about literary translation and the publishing industry, revise and refine a creative project of their own, and become part of a dynamic community of fellow writers. The Summer Camp will take place from July 29 – August 3, 2019 at the ALC Casablanca campus.
- This is a fully-funded opportunity: Tuition, room, and board are provided free of charge to all accepted participants. The Summer Camp is supported by a generous grant from the American Langauge Center – Casablanca and with the support of the University of Iowa’s International Writing Progam and the U.S. Department of State.
- Open to young Moroccan writers between the ages of 14-21
The following are application requirements:
- Application form
- Writing Sample: 4-5 pages of fiction and/or poetry written in either Arabic or English. Please submit your sample in the language of the main writing workshop for which you are applying
- Writing assignment: 2-5 pages of your writing sample should be written in response to the following writing prompt: Have you ever looked at a photo and wondered about the story behind it? We have prepared an amazing collection of images for you. Please pick a photo that triggers your imagination and write a piece of fiction inspired by the chosen image. The link to photos can be found here
- Statement of Purpose: 300 words maximum, in English or Arabic. Please describe why creative writing is important in your life. Please also discuss the difficulties or challenged you have faced in your writing, as well as what you hope to learn at the program.
- Letter of Recommendation (Optional).
For more information, visit Olive Writers’ Summer Camp.