UN-SPIDER Bonn International Conference 2019 in Bonn, Germany (Funding available)
Deadline: August 30, 2019
Applications are open for the UN-SPIDER Bonn International Conference 2019: “Space-based Solutions for Disaster Management in Africa: Challenges, Applications, Partnerships”. The International Conference aims to contribute to an increased use of big space data approaches and satellite-based application in African countries to respond to challenges posed by natural hazards.
The conference is organized by the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA), through its UN-SPIDER programme, and the Center for Remote Sensing of Land Surfaces (ZFL) at the University of Bonn, in cooperation with the German Aerospace Center (DLR) and with the support of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi).
Objectives and Expected Outcomes
More specifically, the event aims to:
- Showcase recent advances and identify challenges to the use of space-based information, big data approaches and artificial intelligence techniques such as machine learning in disaster management in Africa.
- Present and provide a hands-on experience of space-based applications through tutorials on technical solutions ranging from standalone desktop packages to cloud computing environments that facilitate the access to and use of space-based data and information products for disaster management.
- Build on the outcomes of UNOOSA international conferences and symposia to identify capacity-building needs and opportunities regarding full use of the increasing amount of space-based information and new techniques to access, combine, process, analyze and present the data.
- Provide a forum to discuss partnerships to facilitate access to data and applications tailored to the needs of disaster management stakeholders in Africa.
- Due to funding constraints, the organizers will be able to offer support to only a limited number of participants from Member States. The support will defray the cost of travel (round-trip ticket – most economic fare – between the airport of international departure in their country of residence and Bonn, Germany) and/or room and board expenses during the duration of the event.
- Open to staff from national, regional, and international public and private organizations and institutions.
For more information, visit UN-SPIDER.