Global Young Academy Call for New Members 2019/20 for Young Scholars (Attend GYA Annual General Meeting in India)
Deadline: September 15, 2019
The 2019 call for new members to join the Global Young Academy is now open. Applications are sought from young, independent scholars who combine the highest level of research excellence with a demonstrated passion for delivering impact.
Founded in 2010, the Global Young Academy (GYA) is an international organisation of early- to mid-career researchers. The mission of the GYA is to give a voice to young scientists around the world. The GYA has 200 members and 258 alumni from 85 countries on six continents. Members are selected for five-year terms based on a proven track record for outstanding contributions to science and their commitment to applying science for the benefit of society. We strive for the highest quality and impact in our activities.
Each GYA member is expected to attend the GYA Annual General Meeting each year and is also expected to actively contribute to one or more of the organisation’s programmes, which include participation in policy development, promotion of National Young Academies, supporting science outreach and education at the national and international levels, and the young scientist ambassador programme. The GYA is an active organisation, and being a member requires a time commitment on each member’s part. In the event that applicants are selected as new GYA members, they should be available to attend the next Annual General Meeting, which is scheduled for 8 – 12 June 2020 in India.
- Research fields: The call is open to all scholars working in any research-based discipline, including the sciences, medicine, engineering, social sciences, the arts and humanities.
- Excellence: Applicants must be able to demonstrate a high level of excellence in their discipline, ascertained by a proven track record and expected future achievements. Moreover, applicants must demonstrate a clear commitment to making a difference in society. PhD or equivalent is a requirement for applicants.
- Impact: The Global Young Academy is committed to a broad range of programmes around the world to support young scholars, promote science to a broad audience, engage in policy debate, and foster international and interdisciplinary collaboration. Applicants should provide evidence of interest or experience in one or more of these areas.
- Age/career point: Applicants should be in the early to middle years of their independent careers. The majority of the GYA members are aged 30-40 and the typical period from completion of a PhD or similar degree is 3-10 years. Applicants falling outside these ranges are still invited to send their applications with a justification for why they should be considered.
The GYA is a global organisation that places a high value on its diversity. They encourage applications from all qualified candidates. All applicants receive consideration and will not be discriminated against with regard to race, colour, ethnicity, religion, creed, sex, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disabilities, or other factors.
Applications from women, minority groups, researchers in the social sciences, arts and humanities, and scholars working in government, industry, and non-governmental sectors are particularly welcome.
Applications should be completed personally by the candidate and must be accompanied by a letter of support.
This online form asks for basic biographical information and includes several short essay questions. The following documents must be uploaded with your online application, as PDF documents:
- Letter(s) of support
- Data Protection / Declaration / signature of applicant
For more information, visit Global Young Academy.