ProSPER.Net Leadership Programme 2019 for future sustainability leaders from Asia-Pacific region (Funded)
Deadline: August 18, 2019
Calling all future sustainability leaders! Applications are now open for the 2019 ProSPER.Net Leadership Programme, to be hosted by the University of the Philippines Diliman in Quezon City, the Philippines from November 24-30, 2019. This programme is designed for the express purpose of incorporating DRR planning into leadership training, and can be applied within any number of spheres, from city government and business, to education and non-profit work.
Bringing together a diverse group of individuals – from academia, the public sector, the business community, and civil society from around the Asia-Pacific region, both from the social sciences and natural sciences, participants will learn about the challenges and opportunities in relation to disaster risk reduction (DRR) and management.
The week-long programme will expose future sustainability leaders to engineering principles and tools that can aid in formulating sustainable solutions for the Asia-Pacific region, taking into consideration the vulnerability of the region to both man-made and natural disasters. Successful applicants will have the opportunity to develop leadership skills in the context of Education for Sustainable Development (ESD), the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030, as well as the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The theme of this year’s Programme is ‘Engineering Approaches to Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Towards Sustainable Development in the Asia-Pacific Region’.
Participants of the Leadership Programme will:
- Gain competencies in adaptive leadership, which involves creativity, appreciative thinking, alternative scenario building, and future visioning.
- Gain skills in communication and consensual decision-making processes in group settings and through simulation exercises.
- Learn project development skills through problem-based learning cases in the community.
- Enhance leadership qualities to serve societal needs
Please indicate the need of a fellowship in your application form. The fellowship covers
- All costs of the Leadership Programme participation fee
- Return economy class travel
- Accommodation and meals;
It does not cover visa application fee and travel insurance. These shall be the participant’s responsibility.
- Applications are open to professionals in the Asia-Pacific region working in any sector related to DRR (applicants with limited or no engineering background are also encouraged to apply).
Participants will be selected on the basis of a written application, according to the following criteria:
- Affiliation to a ProSPER.Net member university; YRS Alumni; professionals from public, private, and civil society sectors working in the Asia-Pacific region
- High level of understanding of written and spoken English language
- An advanced understanding of sustainability and its relevance for his/her own research or work
- Demonstrated leadership ability to work in a team environment and contribute to community service activities
- Download the application form (under ‘Documents’ below)
- Send your completed application form to [email protected] with a CV and a recommendation letter from a direct supervisor/manager
This form should be completed and emailed as an attachment, together with a CV and a recommendation letter from your direct supervisor/ manager to [email protected] by Sunday, 18 August 2019. *Please note that only selected applicants will be notified from the Secretariat. They regret they are not able to answer to inquiries regarding the selection process and the results.
For more information, visit ProSPER.Net Leadership Programme.