Safe Abortion Action Fund 2019 Round 5 Funding for Local and Grassroots Organizations (Up to $80,000 grant)
Deadline: August 11, 2019
Applications are open for the Safe Abortion Action Fund 2019 Round 5 Funding. The Safe Abortion Action Fund (SAAF) works toward a world where rights to access safe and legal abortion are established and protected, women are empowered to exercise these rights and lives are saved. Hosted by the International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF), SAAF supports local and grassroots organizations, providing flexible grants for projects that:
- Increase access to quality abortion services with a focus on addressing the needs of poor, vulnerable and hard to reach women and girls
- Support legal and policy reforms in countries where abortion is restricted
- Tackle negative societal norms and attitudes towards abortion, in order to create an enabling environment that ensures every woman and girl has access to quality abortion services
- Generate and disseminate evidence to improve the quality and effectiveness of abortion programming and advocacy strategies
By visibly funding projects using an international funding mechanism, SAAF works to de-stigmatize abortion and to legitimize the abortion debate by creating and supporting a ‘network of champions’ who are more empowered to work at local and national levels.
- The maximum grant will be US$80,000 for up to 15 months.
- Projects will start on 1st January 2020. The latest end date possible is 31 March 2021.
- Local organisations registered in countries listed here are eligible to apply. SAAF can fund projects led by individual organisations, a group of organisations or national and regional networks based in the Global South.
- Organisations without a formal registration will be allowed to apply if they have a fiscal sponsor. More detail on this can be found in the guidelines.
What they fund
- Any project that improves the enabling environment for the promotion and delivery of safe abortion services and/or the prevention of unsafe abortion through locally-led changes in legislation, policy, service delivery and attitudes is eligible for funding.
- This may include the entire spectrum of activities from service delivery to advocacy for policy change or research. The guidelines contain some examples of the types of initiatives or strategies that could be implemented, but the list is not exhaustive.
For better chances, an application should:
- Address the needs of low-income, marginalized, young and/or otherwise underserved women and girls.
- Sow the seeds of change, e.g. by bringing about a change in the operating environment through advocacy initiatives, or establishing new, more effective ways of delivering services
- Build capacity either in the course of implementing project activities or undertaking specific capacity development initiatives in the field of abortion
- Be able to demonstrate sustainability of impact/leave some footprint behind after the funding is finished
- Approach access to safe abortion from a human rights based and gender transformative perspective
They are particularly interested in
- Address abortion issues in a restricted environment with inherent risks (including humanitarian and conflict settings)
- Are catalytic and increase the impact of other actors working in this field
- Recognize and aim to mitigate or transform gender inequalities and power relations that affect women’s ability to realize their sexual and reproductive rights.
The SAAF secretariat will run three online Q&A sessions in English, French and Spanish in which you can ask any questions that you have about the application process, form or guidelines. If you cannot attend on the day but want to receive a recording of the sessions please register, as the recording will be shared with all those registered.
- To register for the English session at 10.00 BST/London time, Tuesday 23rd July click here
- To register for the French session at 10:00 BST/London time, Wednesday 17th July click here
- To register for the Spanish session at 16:00 BST/London time, Tuesday 23rd July click here
For more information, visit Safe Abortion Action Fund.