Africa-America Institute Alidou African Women in Leadership Workshop 2019
Deadline: September 1, 2019
Applications are open for the Africa-America Institute Alidou African Women in Leadership Workshop 2019. The workshop aims to provide targeted mentoring opportunities for female graduate students (MA/Ph.D.) and early career professionals (1-5 years post-graduation) located on the continent of Africa.
The first inaugural mentoring workshop will be held in Nairobi, Kenya, on October 22, 2019, in collaboration with the United States International University-Africa (USIU Africa) during the biennial conference of the African Studies Association of Africa (ASAA), October 24-26, 2019.
The one-day workshop will focus on issues confronting young women professionals and graduate students. Tentative topics to be covered include but are not limited to: building a sustainable professional network; conducting research and publishing your work, networking and job placements, striking a balance between the personal and the professional; grant writing and funding opportunities, dealing with sexual harassment and many more.
Successful applicants will be matched with women scholars and industry leaders to develop a lasting mentorship relationship. Successful applicants who go on to produce a piece of scholarly work or complete a series of co-mentoring tasks will be awarded a certificate of completion and inducted into the Africa America Institute-Alidou Women in Leadership Network.
Selected applicants will receive:
- A free one-day workshop
- A stipend for local transport
- Lunch and coffee breaks
- Applicants must be either current female graduate students in an MA or Ph.D. program on the continent of Africa who are writing their thesis or preparing a research proposal or early career professionals (1-5 years post-graduation) with a Masters or Ph.D. degree
- All applicants must be members of the ASAA in good standing.
Applicants should submit the following documents:
- Current CV
- Statement of intent (no more than 1000 words)
- Describe your professional aspirations and where you expect to see yourself over the next five years
- Issues or topics you would like to have covered during the workshop
- Your anticipated contributions to the workshop
The entire dossier shall be compiled as a single PDF file and submitted by email to the organisers of the workshop, [add names], to the address [email protected] (put in the subject line “Nairobi 2019”)
For more information, visit Africa-America Institute.