ASEAN-Korea Academic Essay Contest 2019 (Win a study trip to Korea and ASEAN)
Deadline: October 31, 2019
The ASEAN-Korea Centre, an inter-governmental organization mandated to promote economic and socio-cultural cooperation between ASEAN and Korea, is hosting the 2019 ASEAN-Korea Academic Essay Contest.
The competition invites students of ASEAN and Korea to share their perspectives and knowledge on ASEAN and ASEAN-Korea relations. The young perspectives of the youth of ASEAN and Korea will contribute toward building a true, genuine and lasting partnership.
- ASEAN and Korea in the Emerging Indo-Pacific: With 65% of the world population and over 60% of global GDP, the Indo-Pacific has come into the limelight as it has also become a main theatre of China’s Belt and Road Initiative and the United States’ free and open Indo-Pacific strategy. As regional entities, ASEAN and Korea share the regional outlook which naturally leads them for cooperation. In what ways can ASEAN and Korea increase their cooperation to navigate through the tides of the emerging Indo-Pacific?
- ASEAN Connectivity and Beyond: ASEAN visions “to achieve a seamlessly and comprehensively connected and integrated region that will promote competitiveness, inclusiveness, and a greater sense of Community” as proclaimed in the Master Plan on ASEAN Connectivity 2025. A well-connected ASEAN will bring its goods, services and people together, creating a foundation for a more resilient, competitive and prosperous ASEAN Community. What are the key areas ASEAN should focus on to fulfill its connectivity visions? How can ASEAN Connectivity achieve a regional integration that will connect beyond the ASEAN region?
- Toward a Reciprocal Cultural Exchanges: ASEAN Wave in Korea: With increasing interactions and socio-cultural exchanges between ASEAN and Korea, the perception of ASEAN has been expanding in Korea. However, while Korean cultures are widely spread in the ASEAN region with the tides of the ‘Korean Wave’, understanding of ASEAN’s unique and diverse cultures are still in the growing stage in Korea. How can we effectively promote ASEAN’s unique and diverse cultures in Korea? In what ways can ASEAN and Korea cooperate to facilitate and promote the ‘ASEAN Wave’ in Korea?
- 30 Years of ASEAN-Korea Relations: Retrospect and Prospect: The ASEAN-Korea relations began with the establishment of the sectoral dialogue partnership in 1989. Since then, the relationship has expanded and deepened to become a strategic partnership for peace and prosperity in 2010. This year, ASEAN and Korea celebrate the 30th anniversary of their dialogue partnership. How has the ASEAN-Korea relations evolved over the past 30 years? How should the dialogue partnership progress forward?
- Winners will be invited to an academic workshop to present their essays.
- Winners will be offered an opportunity for study trips to ASEAN and Korea (4 nights/5 days):
- Study Trip to Korea – Visits to the ASEAN-Korea Centre, universities, research institutes, and cultural sites in Korea
- Study Trip to ASEAN – Visits to the universities, research institutes and cultural sites in Viet Nam.
- Travel expenses will be covered by the ASEAN-Korea Centre.
- Open to all ASEAN and Korean undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in education institutions based in ASEAN or Korea.
- Applications can be in either English or Korean. Abstract must be written in English for both English and Korean essays.
- Max. 4,000 words or 10 pages
- Times New Roman
- 1.5 interlinear
- Max. 3,000 words or 10 pages
- 1.5 interlinear
- Abstract: 500 words/1 page
- Essays must be submitted and formatted in Microsoft Word
- In-text citations must be made in APA (sixth edition).
The following are required for complete application:
- Application form
For more information, visit ASEAN-Korea Academic Essay Contest.