Deadline: November 8, 2019
Applications are open for the Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme 2020. The Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme seeks to enhance internationalisation in Japan by promoting mutual understanding between the people of Japan and those of other nations.
The Programme aims to enhance foreign language education and promote international exchange at the local level through the fostering of ties between Japanese youth and foreign youth alike. The objectives of the Programme are being achieved by offering JET Programme participants the opportunity to serve in local authorities as well as public and private elementary, junior high and senior high schools in Japan.
The Programme is implemented by local authorities and other organisations of Japan in cooperation with the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, and the Council of Local Authorities for International Relations.
Participants who are mainly assigned to local boards of education or elementary, junior high or senior high schools are to carry out their duties as ALTs under the guidance of language teachers’ consultants or Japanese teachers of the foreign language as specified by the supervisor and/or principal of the board of education and/or school. The following is a general outline of duties, though they may vary from one contracting organisation to another.
- Assistance in foreign language classes, etc. taught in junior and senior high schools
- Assistance in foreign language activities, etc. in elementary schools
- Assistance in preparation of materials for teaching a foreign language
- Assistance in language training of teachers of a foreign language, etc
- Assistance in extracurricular activities and club activities
- Provision of information on language and other related subjects for people such as teachers’ consultants and foreign language teachers (e.g. word usage, pronunciation, etc.)
- Assistance in foreign language speech contests
- Engagement in local international exchange activities
- Other duties as specified by the contracting organisation
- The cost of transportation from the participant’s origin to Japan, as well as remuneration, will be funded by the tax payers of Japan via the contracting organisation where the participant is appointed.
- Open to young South Africans who would like to spend at least one year in Japan as Assistant Language Instructors (ALTs);
- Applicants for the ALT position must hold a Bachelor’s degree or higher, or obtain such qualifications by the designated arrival date (applicants for the ALT position may alternatively hold a certification of completion of a 3 year course to teach at primary/elementary or secondary schools or obtain such qualification(s) by the designated arrival date);
- Be both mentally and physically healthy;
- Be willing and able to adapt to living and working in Japan, and be determined to responsibly complete their period of participation;
Applicants are required to courier (with a tracking number) or hand deliver their application form and other documents to:
Embassy of Japan
259 Baines Street
For more information, visit Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme.