IFFR Trainee Programme 2020 for Young Film Critics (Funding available)
Deadline: October 1, 2019
Applications are open for the IFFR Trainee Programme 2020 for Young Film Critics. The programme aims to support a new generation of young and upcoming film critics. A group of young and motivated professional film critics from outside the Netherlands are invited to come to Rotterdam to cover their festival.
They provide them with the means to sharpen their journalistic practice and explore the wide landscape of independent cinema on offer at IFFR, one of the major international film festivals for press, industry members and audiences.
The programme provides a unique insight into a broad range of programmes on offer at the festival, ranging from films by well-known arthouse auteurs to more experimental and obscure cinematic gems and from art installations and performances to talks and film industry conferences. In the past editions, IFFR welcomed Young Film Critics from all regions of the world. Last year, at IFFR 2019, they had participants from Australia, Indonesia, Portugal, the United Kingdom and Uruguay.
As a trainee, you are part of the editorial team of the festival. You will have meetings with experienced film critics from different backgrounds, cover the festival for your own journalistic affiliation and be part of IFFR’s editorial staff. Of course you will also get to experience the full joy of being at International Film Festival Rotterdam. With the changing media landscape in mind, this year’s programme will put special focus on candidates with mixed talents – next to excellent writing skills, experience in (or great ideas for) audiovisual, audio or other innovative modes of journalism are appreciated.
- Complimentary IFFR 2019 press accreditation
- Budget hotel accommodation in Rotterdam
- A partial refund of travel costs when traveling from outside Europe
- A full schedule. IFFR aims at making trainees fully integral to the festival and lets them participate in the delivery of daily festival outlets. The trainees will form a team, hosted by the IFFR Press Office and the festival editorial staff.
- You get to explore all aspects of IFFR (screenings, exhibitions, Q&A sessions, masterclasses and talks, debates, film industry conferences) as part of the programme and to cover for your own media.
- If your participation is successful and you have published reports that meet IFFR’s standards (both in quality and quantity), you get the opportunity to visit the next edition of the festival as an accredited journalist.
- Applicants should be under 30 years of age
- Have fluent command of the English language (written and spoken)
- Demonstrable experience in film criticism (print, video, audio or online media) + storyboard or any creative form of daily reporting
- Addresses the following topics: film review, festival review, Film Industry reports and trends, arts & culture review, masterclasses and talks review
- You’re not yet established enough to profit from privileges such as attending international film festivals outside your country
- You have made an agreement(s) with relevant print and/or online media to publish reports on International Film Festival Rotterdam 2019.
Please send your application to [email protected] with the following attached (as one PDF):
- Motivational letter
- Three examples of your published work (video, audio or written)
- A confirmation letter of your outlet which will publish your work at IFFR 2020
- Information about the outlet (reach, target group etc.)
For more information, visit IFFR Trainee Programme.