UNESCO Youth Eyes on the Silk Roads Photo Contest 2019
Deadline: January 6, 2020
Applications are open for the UNESCO Youth Eyes on the Silk Roads Photo Contest 2019. The annual Youth Eyes on the Silk Roads International Photo Contest offers an exciting opportunity for young people from all over the world to capture their understanding of the common heritage of the Silk Roads through the lens of their camera.
The Silk Roads are an expansive region composed of a network of maritime and land routes. Originating in East Asia, South Asia, and Southeast Asia the Silk Roads cross the Central Asian sub-continent, the Russian steppe, the Iranian and Anatolian plateaus, and the Arabian Peninsula. They also stretch through North Africa and Northeast Africa, from Tanzania to Morocco. Additionally, they pass through Eastern and Southern Europe, before reaching France and Spain.
The Youth Eyes on the Silk Roads Photo Contest is an opportunity for young people living or travelling within these regions to share their perceptions and further their understanding of the common cultural heritage and pluralistic identities emerging from the interactions and exchanges taking place along the Silk Roads. The contest encourages the use of photography to extend these cultural interactions and encounters in the contemporary world, to foster mutual understanding and promote peace amongst the diverse populations encompassed by the Silk Roads.
The contest is divided into two age categories: 14-17 year olds, and 18-25 year olds. Participants are invited to submit photographs that best encapsulate the shared heritage of the Silk Roads through one or more of the three themes of Gastronomy and Food Production, Traditional Sports and Games, and Music and Dance.
- First place winners will receive a professional camera
- Second place winners will receive a semi-professional camera, and
- The prize for third place will be a standard-model digital camera.
- In addition, winners will receive an all-expenses paid trip to the award ceremony. Those under 17 years of age may be accompanied by one family member, courtesy of UNESCO.
- A travelling exhibition of around fifty photos that best represent the spirit of the contest will be exhibited in various places around the world. To commemorate the occasion, these exceptional photographs will ultimately appear in a professionally bound photo album.
- Open to everyone between 14 and 25 years old, regardless of his or her country of residence, except employees of UNESCO and the donor, China World Peace Foundation, and their family members (parents, children, siblings and spouses).
To confirm participation, each participant will have to follow the following instructions outlined below:
- Go to the Participation page
- Upload a maximum of 20 photographs:
- Include a caption for each photograph or series of photographs, in digital format (JPEG or JPG)
- The quality of the photographs must be at least 1,500 pixels wide for horizontal images and 1,500 pixels tall for vertical images.
For more information, visit UNESCO.