Call for Nominations: The Gwangju Prize for Human Rights 2020 (Award of $50,000)
Deadline: November 30, 2019
Applications are open for the Gwangju Prize for Human Rights 2020. To promote the spirit of the May 18 Democratization Movement, in which the people of Gwangju resisted brutal military forces for the sake of democracy and human rights in 1980, the May 18 Memorial Foundation recognizes the exemplary efforts of individuals and organizations aspiring to the restoration of justice and human rights in their respective countries through the Gwangju Prize for Human Rights Prize.
Since 2000, the Foundation has been bestowing the ‘Gwangju Prize for Human Rights’ to individuals, groups and institutions in Korea and abroad that have contributed in promoting and advancing human rights, democracy and peace in their work. The prize is awarded by the citizens of Gwangju in the spirit of solidarity and gratitude to those who have helped them in their struggle for democratization and their search for truth. It is hoped that through this Award, the spirit and message of May 18 will be immortalized in the hearts and minds of humankind.
- The winner of the GPHR will receive a certificate, a medal, and cash award of $50,000 USD.
The candidates eligible for the GPHR are those persons or organizations nominated by a qualified individual or a qualified organization. A nomination of oneself-will not be taken into consideration.
A nomination for the GPHR can be submitted by any individual or organization who meets the nomination criteria. Any nomination is considered valid if it is submitted by a person or an organization that falls within one of the following categories:
- Individuals or organizations who won the May 18 Citizens Award and/or YunSang-won Award
- Laureates of Gwangju Prize for Human Rights
- Organizations in Korea or overseas working for human rights, peace, and the reunification of Korea that have been active three years or more and that the May 18 Memorial Foundation Directorate decides to request their nomination
- Any individual or organization in Korea or overseas that agrees on the purpose of the GPHR
Required Submission Documents are:
- Nomination Form
- Two ID Photos (paste them on the designated spots)
- Other materials that can substantiate activities and eligibility for the award
Send all documents via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, visit Gwangju Prize for Human Rights.