Google AI Residency Program 2020 for Leaders in STEM Fields
Deadline: December 19, 2019
Applications are invited for the Google AI Residency Program 2020. The Google AI Residency Program is a 12-month research training role designed to jumpstart or advance your career in machine learning research. The goal of the residency is to help residents become productive and successful AI researchers.
Residents collaborate with distinguished scientists from various Google AI teams working on machine learning applications and problems. Google aspires to be an organization that reflects the globally diverse audience that their search engine and tools serve. They believe that in addition to hiring the best talent, a diversity of perspectives, ideas and cultures leads to the creation of better products and services. They encourage applications from individuals underrepresented in the engineering and tech industry including but not limited to women, Black, Latinx, Hispanic, Native American, students with disabilities, and Veterans.
The residency program is similar to spending a year in a Master’s or PhD program in machine learning. Residents are expected to read papers, work on research projects, and encouraged to publish in top-tier venues. By the end of the program, residents are expected to gain significant research experience in machine learning.
Google AI Residents will spend the first several weeks of the program attending Google Orientation sessions and learning how research is conducted at Google by completing AI Residency curriculum and through direct collaboration with their assigned Orientation Mentor and other researchers. Each resident will then be assigned a short project to be completed within two weeks, during which longer term project and mentor assignments will take place in tandem.
- Work with research mentors to formulate research project(s) and/or novel application(s) of machine learning.
- Learn and understand a large body of research in machine learning algorithms.
- Implement algorithms, experiments and/or human-computer interfaces using frameworks such as TensorFlow.
- Conduct research and publish it across various venues.
- Collaborate across the team and wider organization and Research community.
- Applicants should have a BS degree or equivalent practical experience in a STEM field such as Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Biology, Economics or other disciplines.
- Experience with coding in Python, C/C++, or Java.
- Research experience in machine learning or AI techniques (e.g. open source project(s), campus lab experience, research internship(s), or publication(s)).
- Ability to collaborate and communicate across multiple teams (in a multi-disciplinary environment)
- Passion for the field of Machine Learning Research