Deadline: January 10, 2020
Nominations for the 2020 National Geographic Buffett Awards for Leadership in Africa and Latin America are now open. The National Geographic/Buffett Awards for Leadership in Conservation were established in partnership with the Howard G. Buffett Foundation to recognize and celebrate unsung conservation heroes who are working in the field.
Two awards are presented each year: one for achievement in Africa and the other for achievement in Latin America. These outstanding individuals have demonstrated leadership in managing and protecting the natural resources in their regions and countries, and are inspirational conservation advocates who serve as role models and mentors.
- Winners receive a one-time award of $25,000 to support their ongoing work.
- Nominee must be a citizen from a country in Africa or Latin America where he/she develops the conservation work. Expatriates do not qualify for these awards, although they recognize the important work they do around the world
- Nominee must be an accomplished individual that has created positive change in his/her community through conservation
- Buffett Awards are not lifetime achievement awards, nor are they early career awards. Thus nominees must be at the peak of their careers as conservation leaders
- Buffett Awards are not conservation grants
- Preference will be given to nominees who have not received multiple conservation awards
- Preference will be given to nominees with species-focused conservation efforts
- Individuals nominating themselves will not be considered
For more information, visit National Geographic/Buffett Awards.