U.S. Embassy Cairo Study of the United States Institutes (SUSI) for Scholars 2020 (Fully-funded)
Deadline: January 15, 2020
The Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy Cairo is pleased to announce the 2020 Study of the United States Institutes (SUSI) for Scholars program for university faculty and other related scholars. These Institutes are intensive post-graduate level academic programs with integrated study tours whose purpose is to provide foreign university faculty and other scholars the opportunity to deepen their understanding of U.S. society, culture, values, and institutions to strengthen their curricula and to enhance the quality of teaching about the United States in academic institutions abroad.
Each institute will consist of a multinational group of 18 experienced and highly motivated foreign university faculty and other specialists and will take place at various colleges, universities, and institutions throughout the United States over the course of six weeks beginning in or after June 2020. Each Institute includes a four week academic residency component and up to two weeks of an integrated study tour.
The institute programs offered in summer 2020 are:
- American Culture and Values
- Journalism and Media
- Religious Freedom and Pluralism
- U.S. Economics and Business
- U.S. Foreign Policy
- Youth, Workforce Development, and Closing the Skills Gap
- Open to experienced, mid-career Egyptians (between the ages of 30-50 years old), highly-motivated and experienced professionals generally from institutions of higher education or research focused organizations (non-profits, think tanks, etc.).
- Graduate degree and substantive knowledge of thematic area of the Institute required. PHD and/or Masters Degree (s) is/are an asset.
- Little to no prior experience in the United States
- Candidate’s home institution should be seeking to introduce aspects of U.S. Studies into its curricula, to develop new courses in the subject of the institute, to enhance and update existing courses on the United States, or to offer specialized seminars/workshops for professionals in U.S. studies areas related to the program theme.
- Fluency in English
- Candidates should be willing and able to fully take part in an intensive post-graduate level academic program and study tour.
Completed applications must include:
- Application Form including the Personal Statement
- Nomination Form (Last page of the Application Form)
- Updated CV/Resume
- Copy of Egyptian National ID and/or passport
- Proof of fluency in English by providing a valid score for Institutional TOEFL (Local ITP), Internet-based TOEFL (IBT) or overall
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS). If none are available, a proof of English proficiency is required.
For more information, visit U.S. Embassy Cairo.