International Mathematical Union (IMU) Abel Visiting Scholar Program 2020 for Mathematicians in Developing Countries (up to 4,400 EUR)
Deadline: April 30, 2020
Applications are open for the International Mathematical Union (IMU) Abel Visiting Scholar Program 2020. The program is for mathematicians professionally based in developing countries to visit an international research collaborator for a period of one month.
The program is designed for post doctoral mathematicians in the early stages of their professional careers. It is designed to offer the opportunity for a ‘research sabbatical,’ a necessary complement to teaching and other academic duties for mathematicians desiring to also sustain a viable research program.
The Abel Visiting Scholar Program is fully funded by the Abel Prize in mathematics. Usually up to 3 Grants are available per year.
The grant can cover for one month and only for the applicant up to 4,400 EUR (5,000 Dollars):
- Travel costs
- from the place of work of the applicant to that of the host to the extent of economy class airfare. The flight will be booked and directly paid by the IMU Secretariat.
- (Public) transport (surface transport by rail or bus between the nearest city where the airport is located and the headquarters of the candidate or the city/town where the host institution is located, if necessary). Maximum four (4) Taxi fares (on submission of receipts) may be allowed to travel between the home and the airport/railway station (upon arrival and departure).
- In case the applicant has to stay in a hotel before departure or upon arrival, this needs to be mentioned in the budget details. Maximum one (1) night (both arrival and departure) can be paid from the grant.
- Visa fees
- Travel insurance charges
- Basic living cost (daily allowance based on living cost of the visiting country/city, This amount includes the cost for public transport and all other living costs). For a list please go here. If the accommodation includes breakfast or any other meals, the daily amount will be reduced.
- Accommodation cost in the host country (hotel is allowed if the host provides a statement that no guesthouse or rented flat is available and max. 4 weeks. If you stay longer than 4 weeks you have to rent a suitable apartment or guesthouse). Receipts for cash payments for accommodation costs can not be accepted! You have to pay via a trackable transfer method.
All invoices for travel cost, visa, insurance, accommodation and up to four taxi receipts and all boarding tickets have to be kept by the grantee and be sent (original) to the CDC/ IMU Secretariat by regular mail.
- Applicants must hold at the time of application a PhD in Mathematics
- Be based in a developing country at the time of application
- Hold a position in a university/research institution
- Be in the early stages of their professional careers, more precisely: the applicants should:
- not yet be of full professional rank but have a work contract in a university/college
- be not under 40 years of age at the day of the application deadline
- Applications from women mathematicians are strongly encouraged.
The selection criteria is based on the the quality of the project and the benefit/added value for the home institution/country.
Each application must include:
- The completed Online Application Form
- A curriculum vitae of applicant and host, including a list of recent publications (max. 3 pages each)
- A research plan for the visit
- An official invitation from the institution of the international research partner
- One letter of recommendation. If the letter of recommendation is not written by the international research partner (the host), the application should include a statement from the host approving the research plan.
- A copy of the PhD certificate
- A statement about the current employment status/ position in the home institution signed and stamped by your employer. The statement should include the duration of your employment. Please use the template attached.
- A budget estimation. Please, use the Tentative Budget Form.
- A picture of you for the website (upload separately to the Online Application Form)
- In case you are planning to stay for more than one month you must attached a proof of the matching funds for your living costs from the host institution.
Please merge all required documents (except the picture of you) into one (1) PDF file and upload it in the Online Application Form.
For more information, visit IMU.