Deadline: February 5, 2020
The Global Youth Biodiversity Network (GYBN) is accepting applications for the 2020 Global Youth Biodiversity Summit in Miyazaki. Young people who are interested in participating are invited to apply. The Youth Summit will take place from 20 to 26 April in Miyazaki, Japan and will bring together up to 230 youth from all over the world to connect, collaborate, and share experiences about our work and interest in biodiversity conservation.
The goals of the 2020 Global Youth Biodiversity Summit in Miyazaki are:
- Bring together youth from around the world who are active in biodiversity
- Consolidate a youth position for the post-2020 global biodiversity framework
- Work together to create plans of action to strengthen the youth roadmap for this decade and beyond
- Kick-start a youth-led implementation action plan for 2020-2030 to support the framework
- Celebrate 10 years of youth engagement in the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) and United Nations Decade on Biodiversity
GYBN hopes that this Youth Summit will help to further mobilize, empower and coordinate young people and youth organizations that are working for Biodiversity.
As part of the preparatory process for the post-2020 global biodiversity framework that is expected to be adopted at the UN Biodiversity Conference in October 2020 held in Kunming, China, the 2020 Global Youth Biodiversity Summit in Miyazaki comes at a critical moment: 2020 is widely perceived as a “super year for Biodiversity” and presents a once-in-a-decade opportunity to change the course of biodiversity conservation around the world and to establish young people as changemakers for youth-led implementation actions.
There is available financial support for select applicants. Choose the “require financial support” option when applying if needed.
Travel and participation expenses for the GYBN Summit will be organized and shouldered by GYBN. GYBN will pay for round-trip travel from the participant’s home address, as listed in the application form, to the venue. In addition, GYBN will provide the participants with meals and shared accommodation for the whole duration of the summit. Participants are responsible for incidental room costs and other personal expenses incurred outside the official summit.
Youth from developing countries and, subject to availability of resources, other youth in need of assistance may be eligible to receive support from the organizers for the costs of transportation to/from Miyazaki, accommodations, meals and/or other relevant expenses.
If you can cover the costs of your participation from other sources (e.g. through your organizations or by a local or national government), you are welcome to apply, indicating that you would like to attend the summit as a self-funded participant.
- Youth from all countries are invited to apply
- If you are turning 18 before 20 April 2020, then you may apply.
- Must be an active member or coordinator of a youth organization/network/community that is working on Biodiversity on the local/national/regional/international level.
- NOTE: youth members must be between 18-30 years old and youth coordinators must be between 18-35 years old
- Committed to biodiversity conservation with a strong background of engagement.
- Must commit to sharing knowledge and implementing outcomes gained from the Summit.
- Fill out the online application form (link below)
- Digital copy of CV (submit it through the form)
- Digital copy of Passport (submit it through the form)
- Short Video (submit it through the form)
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered. Applications must be submitted in English. Applications submitted in another language will not be considered. Incomplete applications will also not be considered.
For more information, visit GYBN Summit.