European Journalism Centre Google News Initiative Fellowship 2020 (Funded)
Deadline: March 30, 2020
Are you excited about the opportunities that technology brings to the newsroom? Do you want to explore new storytelling formats, use data to uncover relevant stories or create engaging and inspiring content? Apply for the European Journalism Centre Google News Initiative Fellowship 2020.
The GNI Fellowship offers paid summer placements to journalism, technology or design students and recent graduates who want to gain valuable work experience and build lifelong contacts. This is a unique opportunity that can allow you to kick-start a career in the news industry.
Fellows will be able to learn from experts and connect with other students from across Europe. Depending on the needs of each newsroom, fellows will research and write stories, contribute to open source data projects, create visuals and interactives, and look into data to accurately frame public debate.
The Fellows are offered an 8-week work placement between June and October 2020 in one of the 50 participating newsrooms in Europe. They will also attend a unique one-day Bootcamp in Brussels before joining their newsrooms to learn new skills and connect with the other fellows in Europe. The European Journalism Centre will also be available for guidance and any issues or questions that may come up during the fellowship.
The European Journalism Centre is delivering the GNI Fellowship in the EU and Google News Initiative is funding the programme. Their mission is to develop the next generation of European journalists working to inform, engage, and inspire audiences.
- Travel and accommodation for the Bootcamp will be covered and arranged by the European Journalism Centre.
- To help cover expenses during the placement, fellows will receive up to €5,000 remuneration from their host organisation. The exact amount will be at the discretion of each news organisation.
- You must be 18 years of age or older.
- You are enrolled in or accepted for an accredited higher education institution in the same country as your newsroom of choice; or if you are from or currently living in the country where the newsroom is based. This includes graduate, master, and PhD students, as well as students pursuing technical or professional certificates.
- You may submit only one application in the country in which you’re currently studying, living or where you are from. In the application form, you will also have the option of indicating a second and third preferred option, in case of not being selected by your main newsroom of choice
- They accept both full-time and part-time students, as long as the candidate is enrolled or accepted in an accredited higher education institution in 2020.
- Recent graduates who finished their studies in 2019 are also eligible to apply.
- You must be legally allowed to work in the country where you apply.
You may only submit one application to the newsroom offering the placement that better fits your interests and experience. If you wish, you are also able to indicate a second and third newsroom of preference, should your main application not be selected.
Note that you may apply in the country in which you’re currently studying or where you are from.
For more information, visit GNI Fellowship.