UNFCCC Momentum for Change Global Climate Action Award 2020 (Fully-funded to COP 26 in Glasgow, Scotland)
Deadline: May 11, 2020
The search for the United Nation’s Global Climate Action Award is on! Spearheaded by UN Climate Change’s Momentum for Change initiative, the UN Global Climate Action Award shines a light on the most innovative, scalable and replicable examples of what people around the world are doing to tackle climate change.
If you are leading a results-driven project that is successfully addressing climate change, they want to hear from you!
Selected activities under each area of focus will be recognised as Momentum for Change Lighthouse Activities and showcased at a series of special events during the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Glasgow, Scotland (COP 26) in November 2020. Additionally, winning activities will be highlighted through various media channels, providing a unique chance to gain international visibility and recognition.
Award winners receive the following benefits package:
I. Engagement with policy makers
- Recognition by the UNFCCC secretariat;
- Funded attendance to UN Climate Change Conference (apart from winners under the Financing for Climate Friendly investment category, which need to be self-funded to attend the Conference);
- Opportunities to present work to policy makers during the UN Climate Change Conference.
II. Public relations support
- Concentrated media engagement effort prior to and during the UN Climate Change Conferences, including placement of opinion pieces and earned media;
- On-going digital campaign, including social media, email marketing and promotion on UN Climate Change website.
III. Marketing support
- Promotional videos;
- Dedicated webpage on the UN Climate Change website;
- Interactive annual reports;
- Professional photography.
- Open to organizations, communities, cities, businesses, universities, governments and others that are taking concrete action on climate change can apply to have their projects recognized by the UN Climate Change secretariat as a 2020 Lighthouse Activity.
Your activity must meet the eligibility criteria for its respective area of focus. Please note that each of the three areas of focus has its own criteria. In order to meet the basic eligibility criteria, the activity must:
- Address climate change mitigation or adaptation;
- Be already implemented, or in the course of implementation;
- Be scalable and/or replicable with potential for long-term impact;
- Be innovative and/or demonstrate potential for long-term transformational change;
- Deliver verifiable social and environmental benefits;
- Not be registered or have intentions to register as a clean development mechanism (CDM) or joint implementation (JI) initiative in the next two years.
The 2020 call for applications includes the following three areas of focus:
- Women for Results, recognizing the critical leadership and participation of women in addressing climate change;
- Financing for Climate Friendly Investment, recognizing successful financial innovations for climate change adaption and mitigation;
- Climate Neutral Now, recognizing efforts by individuals, companies and governments that are achieving real results in transitioning to climate neutrality.
To start a new application, register in their online application portal. It will take at least an hour to complete an application. You can save your progress at any time and work on it at your convenience. Completed applications must be submitted by midnight GMT on 30 April 2020.
For more information, visit UNFCCC.