Lagos Urban Innovation Challenge 2020 for Innovators and Entrepreneurs
Deadline: May 31, 2020
Applications are open for the Lagos Urban Innovation Challenge 2020. The Lagos Urban Innovation Challenge is designed to support the innovators and entrepreneurs who are shaping the Lagos of tomorrow.
Do you want to shape the future of Lagos? They are seeking ideas that can solve critical urban issues in Lagos. The challenge invites innovators and entrepreneurs to respond to the this question: What does the future of Lagos look like and how does your solution make the city better for everyone, including those in informal urban slums?
The world as we know it is rapidly changing and Lagos, projected to become the world’s largest megacity by 2100, already faces significant challenges despite its position as a regional economic hub. These challenges present significant opportunities for entrepreneurs who leverage innovative approaches to build solutions that solve critical issues that impact residents within the city.
- Energy & Grid
- Food, Waste & Water
- GovTech & Civic Solutions
- Transportation & Mobility
- Built Environment & Real Estate
- Infrastructure & Industry
- Public Health & Safety
- Wildcard Solutions
Up to 12 semifinalists will:
- Receive $10,000 in AWS Activate Credits valid for 2 years
Up to 6 finalists will:
- Participate in Utopia’s virtual urban accelerator programme
- Receive curated access to equity funding opportunities
- Receive curated access to relevant Lagos State government agencies
- Be eligible for workspace vouchers from Lagos Innovates
- Get access to Utopia’s global network of experts and partners
- Get 6 months priority access to Utopia Lagos CITYLAB space at launch
- Get access to Utopia Studio in Silicon Valley.
- Your urban solution or startup must operate in or focus on Lagos. Your proposed urban solution could make the city better for the many, not just the few.
- You must be an early stage startup/team with at least a minimum viable product. There is a preference for teams with a gender mix.
- You must be able to demonstrate a clear business model.
They will assess applications based on 5 criteria.
- Critical: Does this solution address a critical problem in Lagos
- Original: Is the urban solution innovative within the city?
- Scalable: Can this solution impact one million people in Lagos?
- Viable: Can this solution be implemented in Lagos?
- Team Capacity: Has the team demonstrated the capacity to build and scale the urban solution?
Application will follow this timeline:
- April 6: Challenge launched and call for applications open
- April 6 – May 31: Application phase
- June 1 – June 14: Application review phase; semifinalists selected
- June 15: Semifinalists notified and interviews scheduled
- June 15 – July 5: Interviews conducted and finalists selected
- July 6: Winners announced
- TBC: Summit and Award Ceremony
Note: While the challenge is designed to run virtually and organizers do not foresee any major impact of COVID-19 on the timeline, there is the possibility of extending the application period to allow innovators respond to the emergence of new trends that might shape the future of cities.
For more information, visit Lagos Urban Innovation Challenge.