Fabienne Colas Foundation Youth and Diversity “Being Black in Canada” Program 2020
Deadline: May 15, 2020
The Fabienne Colas Foundation’s Youth and Diversity Program is proud to be back with a call for applications for its 2020 Being Black in Canada Program (Being Black in Toronto), in collaboration with the Toronto Black Film Festival.
This program offers professional mentorship in the audiovisual production of a short film with the theme of “Being Black in Toronto.” 5 to 10 young, promising filmmakers will be guided through the many steps in audiovisual production (screenwriting, directing, editing, post-production, etc.), and will create a documentary short (maximum 10 minutes). This process will be carried out under the professional tutelage of an industry professional with professional equipment.
Their final work will be screened as:
- World Premiere at the Montreal International Black Film Festival – September 30 to October 4, 2020.
- Ontario Premiere at the Toronto Black Film Festival – February 10 to 15, 2021.
- Atlantic Premiere at the Halifax Black Film Festival – February 26 to 28, 2021.
- Potential screenings to other festivals after March 2021 (tbd).
Filmmakers will address the issue of social integration of people from black communities in Toronto through film. The program addresses emerging creators between 18 and 30, who are from black communities and have a passion for cinema. Potential candidates have a dream to work in the audiovisual field but have not yet had the opportunity, due to social, economic and/or cultural reasons.
- Be between 18 and 30 (included) on the date of application.
- Be from a black community.
- Have demonstrated an interest in the audiovisual field and documentary filmmaking.
- Have concrete career-oriented plans in the audiovisual field.
- Demonstrate motivation for the program.
- Be available for activities related to the program, particularly from April & August 2020 for all training, creation, editing, follow-up, discussions etc; and between September 2020 & March 2021 for screenings, festivals, distribution, promotion etc.
- Be available to attend the Black Film Festivals Tour in Montreal, Toronto and Halifax as requested.
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- Live in the Greater Toronto Area.
- Submit a video or film you made in a non-professional setting (short film, clip, video, etc.).
- Submit a concrete documentary project that fits the program theme (100 words).
Hurry and send in your application before May 15, 2020, by filling out the form below, to have the chance to participate in this program. Only selected candidates will be contacted.
For more information, visit Being Black in Canada.