UNDP Economics Internship Programme 2020 – Pretoria, South Africa
Deadline: May 11, 2020
Applications are open for the UNDP Economics Internship Programme 2020. The UNDP country office in South Africa supports the government of South Africa in achieving its development goals outlined in the National Development Plan 2030 as well as the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Under the guidance of the RR and direct supervision of the Senior Economist, PSPU, the intern will support the economic analysis for the country office’s policy support and programme development. The intern will provide inputs to the National Human Development Report focusing on unemployment and compile data and analysis for reports that advises management on macroeconomic policies, trends and relevant linkages with topical emerging issues in South Africa.
The intern will provide relevant statistical analysis and support for the formulation of economic strategies and briefings to management. The intern will also support the implementation of UNDP’s youth employment programme. The interns advocate for the SDGs, represents UNDP in meetings, and takes minutes as requested by his/her supervisor.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support Senior Economist to compile, collate and analyze economic and development issues, including the development of the National Human Development report on unemployment;
- Support as well as initiate research work to support policy content of programme, including UNDP’s youth employment programme;
- Advocacy and promotion of the SDGs and UNDP’s mandate and mission.
- UNDP interns receive payment of a monthly stipend based on the rate established by the duty station.
- Applicant should have a minimum first-level degree in Economics;
- No work experience necessary but must be eager and proactive;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems and statistical analysis of data such as SPSS, Eviews, STRATA;
- Understanding and familiarity with the SDGs, HDR and other economic policies related to social development would be advantageous.
- Have good computer Skills
- Proficiency in English and working knowledge of at least one local language.
- Interest and familiarity with development issues including sustainable economic development and poverty reduction;
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Ability to provide quality policy notes and briefs on economic issues;
- Good research and data management skills;
- Statistical and analytic skills.
Candidates are encouraged to submit the application electronically along with an uploaded resume.
For more information, visit UNDP Internships.