OWN Academy Real World Challenge 2020 – Outbreak: What’s Next?
Deadline: June 8, 2020
Applications are invited for the OWN Academy Real World Challenge 2020. OWN Academy Real World Challenge 2020 is an online competition series targeting students of ages 12 to 19 that prompts them to analyze, imagine, and reflect on how COVID-19 has left its mark on our world.
It is a timely opportunity for students to consider our gains and losses from this trying time, to ruminate upon the concomitant societal concerns, and to envision the route ahead. By encouraging students to express their ideas creatively, OUTBREAK: WHAT’S NEXT? is the name of the first competition that serves as a critical and effective space for discussion, innovation, and exploration.
COVID-19 is everywhere and is affecting everyone in the very here and now. It has taken away far too many lives and livelihoods and is disrupting our day-to-day in the most unexpected ways possible. How can we move on from this global pandemic – where do we go from here? Did you know that 91% of the student population has had their education disrupted and that’s 1.5 billion students around the world?
Schools had been in suspension for the past months, international exams were canceled and our learning routine turned upside down. Many cities are still under lockdown and international travel may not return to normal anytime soon. We are approaching the summer months but the reality is that students around the world may continue to be stuck at home. If normal summer experiences are no longer available, how can we keep this summer productive and meaningful?
Every crisis is an opportunity. Welcome to OWN Academy’s Real World Challenge – Education Edition. They want to hear your creative ideas for an alternative learning engagement over the summer. Let’s brainstorm effective and innovative project ideas where students can have fun and learn at the same time.
Give your best project ideas for the summer that students can participate in and make this summer not only exciting but memorable.
- Top 3 Winners will get cash prizes:
- 1st Place: $3,000 HKD / $380 USD
- 2nd Place: $2,000 HKD / $250 USD
- 3rd Place: $1,000 HKD / $120 USD
- Top 5 shortlisters will receive a Mentorship or Internship opportunity (Can be offline or online)
- Ages 15 +: Internships with partner organizations. This is where you can gain self-development opportunities, learn more, and get exposure to exciting industries. (Paid internships are not guaranteed.)
- Ages 12 +: Mentorship opportunity through OWN Academy’s extensive network and obtain an experiential learning experience with industry experts.
- Open to every full-time secondary and university student, aged 12 to 19 including students who are both enrolled in education institutions and those who are home-schooled.
- Participants may be asked to present verification of their student identity when submitting their proposals.
- All identity documents that certify the Participant’s eligibility may be required prior to awarding any prizes.
- Innovation: Are your ideas substantial and fully developed? Did you think out of the box? What is your differentiating factor?
- Feasibility: Is your idea practical? Can it be done?
- Presentation: Can you communicate your idea with clarity and consistency? Is your visual submission relevant to your idea?
On June 27, each shortlisted participant will pitch their project ideas over a webinar to the panel of judges in 3 minutes for the judges to choose their top 3 favorite project ideas. Afterwards, the winners of OUTBREAK: WHAT’S NEXT? will be announced.
You may participate either individually, or in a team of two people. Your submission should include a written format and a video or visual graphic. You may submit more than one idea for the competition.
For more information, visit OWN Academy Real World Challenge.