Facebook Messaging Hackathon 2020 ($7,000 in prizes)
Deadline: June 24, 2020
Applications are open for the Facebook Messaging Hackathon 2020. Facebook is passionate about bringing the world closer together by advancing artificial intelligence – connecting people to what they care about, powering new, meaningful experiences, and advancing the state-of-the-art through open research and accessible tooling.
Building lasting relationships through conversation – that’s how messaging experiences like Messenger enable connections to thrive amongst billions of people. Are you ready to put your skills to the test? It’s time to challenge yourself!
Solutions like chatbots have come a long way, and now you can take them even further. Whether you’re just getting started or an experienced pro, they invite you to build and submit Messenger experiences that leverage at least one of the following features: Handover Protocol, One-Time Notifications, Private Replies, and Quick Replies.
Not only is this a chance to put your skills to the test and learn something new, but you’ll also connect with a global community of like-minded developers, benefit from educational resources and be in the running to win some awesome cash prizes.
- First Place
- $3,000 USD
- At least one 30-minute virtual meeting with a Facebook engineer
- Oculus Quest 64GB VR headset (ARV: $399 USD; 1 per individual, 4 max per Org or Team)
- Second Place: $2,500 USD
- Third Place: $1,500 USD
- Open only to individuals, organizations, and teams with prior internet access who at the time of entry and throughout the entire 2020 Facebook Online Hackathon Series have a Facebook and Devpost online account in good standing;
- Are not under any legal or contractual obligation that would prohibit their participation, are not domiciled in Quebec, Canada, the Crimea, Cuba, Sudan, Iran, North Korea, Syria, and is not otherwise a person or located in any other country under any trade or economic sanction or on any program or country list designated by the United States Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control, or where the laws of the United States or local law prohibits their participation or receipt a prize in any Contest.
- Individuals may enter any Contest on an Individual basis and/or by joining as part of one or more Team(s) or Organization(s). If acting as a Representative, then by entering that Individual also represents and warrants that he or she is authorized to so act.
What to build: Build Messenger experiences that leverage at least one of the following features: Handover Protocol, One-Time Notifications, Private Replies, and Quick Replies.
- Quality of the Idea: Includes creativity and originality of the idea.
- Potential Strategic Impact: Includes the potential value and usefulness to real-world users.
- Implementation of the Idea: Includes how well the idea was executed by the developer, the extent to which the featured Facebook products were incorporated, and the extent to which respect for user privacy was considered or incorporated in the design.
Applicants are required to submit the following:
- Demo video: Your video (hosted on Facebook Video, YouTube, Vimeo, or Youku) should be around 2 minutes, include a demo of your working application via a step-by-step visual demo, and be available in English. Be sure to explain how the Facebook products used enhances the experience of your solution!
- Access: A way to access your chatbot in one of the following ways:
- Option 1: Make your bot publicly available by completing the app review process. In order to make the bot live to all Facebook users, you will need to complete app review and demonstrate that your bot is working. Full guidelines can be found here. The entire process will take approximately 1-2 weeks.
- Option 2: Make your bot available for select users. Since app review might take some time, for the purpose of this hackathon, you can put your app in dev mode and add a tester in your app settings. That way, judges will be able to test your bot even when your app is in development mode. Please use test user account id: 499418056 and stef.devpost.1
- Complete submission form: All required fields must be completed and submitted on Devpost BEFORE the deadline. Late entries will NOT be accepted.
For more information, visit Facebook Messaging Hackathon.