Deadline: October 1, 2020
Applications are invited for the Government of Canada Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme 2020/2021. The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme provides funding to the very best postdoctoral applicants, both nationally and internationally, who will positively contribute to the country’s economic, social and research-based growth.
Seventy (70) fellowships are awarded annually. A total of up to 140 awards are active at any time. Fellowships are distributed equally among the
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR),
- the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) and
- the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC).
The objective of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is to:
- Attract and retain top-tier postdoctoral talent, both nationally and internationally
- Develop their leadership potential
- Position them for success as research leaders of tomorrow
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is unique in its emphasis on the synergy between:
- the applicant – their individual merit and potential to launch a successful research-intensive career; and
- the host institution – their commitment to the research program and alignment with the institution’s strategic priorities
An applicant to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must complete their application in full collaboration with the proposed host institution.
- The fellowship is are valued at $70,000 (taxable) per year.
- There are no additional funds provided for travel/research.
Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to apply, provided they meet the following conditions:
- Applicants who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a foreign university may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a Canadian university may hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at either a Canadian institution or an institution outside of Canada.
- Applicants to the 2019-20 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must fulfill or have fulfilled all degree requirements for a PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree: between September 15, 2016 and September 30, 2020 (inclusively), and before the start date of their award.
|June – September 2020||Applicants seek endorsement from host institution to apply, prepare and submit application (institutions may have internal deadlines).|
|October 1, 2020|
|Deadline for complete application submission|
|October to December 2020||Evaluation of applications|
|Mid February, 2021||Anticipated notification of results. Applicants will be notified by email when the results are available on ResearchNet.|
|April to October 2021||Payments begin|
Click here to read the application guidelines before proceeding to apply.
For more information, visit Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship.