Academic and Non-Fiction Authors’ Association of South Africa (ANFASA) Grant Scheme 2020 (up to R30,000)
Deadline: July 31, 2020
Applications are open for the next round of the Academic and Non-Fiction Authors’ Association of South Africa (ANFASA) Grant Scheme 2020 to benefit authors of scholarly and of general non-fiction works.
Scholarly works are normally based on research and cover a wide range of disciplines in the humanities, social sciences and arts. The AGSA scheme encourages young researchers in particular to communicate through the written word and to build their academic careers through the writing of scholarly monographs.
What is a “general non-fiction work”? Just as an example, it could be a biography or an autobiography; a history of a town or a region or a religion; a book about music or sport or theatre; a political or social analysis; an account of everyday life in a township; a book about nursing, or cooking, or fashion, or fishes, or traditional medicines, or cars – those are just a few of the many topics supported by the ANFASA grant scheme in the past.
- The grants are intended to provide a sum of around R30,000 to be used for an author to “buy time” – to take leave, for instance, and devote herself or himself to writing; or to travel in order to conduct research. A grant could also be used for equipment to conduct interviews.
- The grants are for research and writing, and are not intended to cover the cost of publishing the manuscript although a grant could also be used to cover some editing costs, for instance, if properly motivated.
- If you are currently working on a scholarly or a general non-fiction work, you are eligible to apply. However, if selected, only ANFASA members may actually receive an award, so if you are not already a member you are urged to apply.
- Grants are reserved for books rather than articles, although a compilation of essays would be eligible.
- The ANFASA grant scheme especially encourages applications from young authors at the start of their careers.
- Applications for books written in all the official languages will be equally considered.
Applications can be completed online or sent by mail. Download the application form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org or
For more information, visit ANFASA Grant Scheme.