ICRC Traineeship in the International Review of the Red Cross’ Unit 2020 (Paid position)
Deadline: June 30, 2020
Applications are open for the ICRC Traineeship in the International Review of the Red Cross’ Unit 2020. Produced by the ICRC and published by Cambridge University Press, the International Review of the Red Cross is a specialized peer-reviewed journal dedicated to international humanitarian law, policy and action.
It is published three times per year and its principal audience includes governments, international governmental and non-governmental organisations, universities, the media and all those interested in humanitarian issues at large.
The Review consists of a small team of four people within the Department of Law and Policy of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC): The Editor-in-Chief, the Managing Editor, the Thematic Editor and the Associate/Editorial Assistant. In addition, there are occasionally short-term academic trainees joining the team throughout the year for periods of 2-3 months each in exchange for course credit.
Trainee will work closely with the Editor-in-Chief, Managing Editor and Thematic Editor in the evaluation of future themes for issues of the Review, assessment, editing and research related to submitted articles, and overall content management. You will also assist with the promotion and distribution of thematic editions of the Review.
- Assistance to the Editor-in-Chief and the Managing Editor of the International Review of the Red Cross;
- Evaluation and editing of article submissions (checking the reasoning, arguments, structure and sources), including of submission dealing with topics of a legal nature;
- Substantial academic research as part of the editing process;
- Identification of potential authors and peer reviewers;
- responding to queries or dispatching them to the appropriate colleague;
- Engagement with authors, peer reviewers and publishers, in a diplomatic and politically astute manner, as an ambassador for the journal and the ICRC;
- Management of the team inbox, including acknowledging receipt of submissions and either responding to or dispatching queries;
- Interaction with both external and internal interlocutors on identifying potential topics to be covered in the Review and for commissioning articles. These include, but are not limited to: colleagues across the various units and departments in HQ, ICRC delegations, National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, beneficiaries, and professionals outside the ICRC.
- Preparation and co-conduct of interviews of key experts in the field of humanitarian law, policy and action for the Review;
- Management of book reviews for selected issues of the Review in collaboration with the Review’s Book Review editor;
- Assistance in the development of a promotion strategy for upcoming editions of the journal in close collaboration with other members of the editorial team and other units within the Law and Policy Department, the Outreach unit;
- Ad-hoc presentations on IHL to groups visiting the ICRC;
- Maintenance of administrative records such as journal stock and distribution lists.
- The gross monthly salary is 3,000 CHF.
- Applicants must have a Master’s degree in law or international relations, preferably including a focus related to armed conflict studies.
- For candidates to be eligible, they must have a maximum of one year’s professional experience after graduation or two years if they have been in previous internships, traineeships or similar positions.
- Excellent command of English with good French reading abilities.
Desired profile and skills
- A demonstrated interest in humanitarian work, IHL and human rights;
- Previous editorial work experience (shortlisted candidates will be tested on their editorial and writing skills during the interviews);
- Initiative and capacity to work independently under minimal supervision;
- Excellent ability to work in a team;
- Excellent communication skills including strong writing abilities;
- Excellent organizational skills.
Application documents required are:
- Work certificates
- Scan color of passport uploaded on your profile
For more information, visit ICRC Traineeship.