CEI SEEMO Award 2020 for Outstanding Merits in Investigative Journalism (4,000 EUR award)
Deadline: September 1, 2020
Applications for the CEI SEEMO Award 2020 for Outstanding Merits in Investigative Journalism are now open. The Award is meant to honour the work carried out by investigative journalists and their contribution to investigative reporting despite the difficult conditions under which they often have to operate.
This year, priority is given to investigative stories covering the coronavirus crisis, especially considering the vital role played in this context by accurate journalism and reliable access to information. The Award is divided into two categories: Professional Journalists and Young Professional Journalists.
Awards will be presented in the two categories:
- Professional Journalists: 4,000 EUR
- Young Professional Journalist: 1,000 EUR
- Open to nationals of the 17 CEI Member States: Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Italy, Moldova, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia and Ukraine.
- Category 1 is open to candidates who have been actively involved in investigative reporting over the last two years and are still active in journalism. Two samples of journalistic work will be relevant for the evaluation from the jury.
- Category 2 is open to candidates who have been actively involved in investigative reporting, even in the context of training activities organised by schools/universities/NGOs and, as a result, should have published at least one investigative story meeting all professional standards. One sample of journalistic work will be relevant for the evaluation from the jury.
- Print, Radio, TV, news agencies and Internet media are admitted.
- The jury will take into account the relevance of the matters covered by the reports, which should have a focus on the target countries as well as the quality of reporting in terms of documentation, data, writing and production.
- The personal risks taken while performing the duties as well as the impact on society of the messages conveyed will also be evaluated
The following documents in PDF format shall be uploaded:
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae;
- A recommendation letter written and signed by trustworthy individuals, journalism and media organisations, media companies, civil society organisations, journalism schools or universities, trade unions or other social organisations from the target countries;
- Up to three samples of journalistic work in a single PDF document (minimum two samples in Category 1, one sample in Category 2). For online work samples, insert hyperlinks in a PDF document, or print out online articles in a PDF file. Hyperlinks need to be accessible at least by October 15, 2020. In case of audio/video material, upload the files making use of file-sharing services (e.g. WeTransfer or Dropbox) including a script or scenario. Material prepared in local languages should be accompanied by a short summary in English.
For more information, visit CEI SEEMO Award.