Newton-Bhabha Fund PhD Placement Programme 2020 for UK and Indian Scholars
Deadline: August 16, 2020
The British Council India, the Department of Science and Technology (DST), the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) and Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) are pleased to invite applications for funding to support short-term PhD placements between UK and Indian institutions.
The Newton-Bhabha Fund is offering the opportunity for UK and Indian PhD scholars to spend a period of their study (up to two to four months) in Indian and UK higher education institutions, to take place between April 2021 and December 2021.
The aims of the programme are:
- Develop individual capacity through international training and development opportunities.
- Increase the number of highly trained researchers in the UK and India with international experience, able to contribute to the absorptive capacity for research and innovation and thus bring about economic and social benefits.
- Build cultural understanding and foster long-term sustainable research collaborations.
- Develop international joint training pathways.
- Increase awareness of the research strengths of the UK and India.
The programme covers the following costs:
- Visa fees, economy class international airfares and overseas travel insurance incurred by PhD scholars.
- In-country costs including accommodation and a stipend for PhD scholars.
- Bench fees (if applied for) by UK host university.
- In UK, the scheme is open only for UK scholars pursuing their PhD at a UK higher education institution.
- In India, the scheme is open only for Indian PhD scholars enrolled at Indian higher education institutions with the following criteria:
- INSPIRE PhD Senior Research Fellows (SRFs) of Batch 2017 are eligible to apply for STEM and Life Sciences subjects.
- PhD Scholars (other than INSPIRE Fellows) pursuing a PhD in mid second or third year of Life Sciences are eligible to apply.
- ICSSR Doctoral Fellows or registered PhD scholars (full time) studying in second or third year of Social Sciences are eligible to apply.
Applicants are to read the call guidelines document before completing their application.
The application should be submitted by the PhD scholar with an endorsement from both the sending and receiving Head of Department (or equivalent) with the latter’s confirmation that they will host the PhD scholars, the duration of their stay and the level of bench fees, if applicable (bench fees are applicable only for UK host universities).
You can access the appropriate application form using the links below:
For more information, visit for Newton-Bhabha Fund.