Newton Mosharafa PhD Programme 2020 for Egyptian Scholars (Funding available)
Deadline: October 1, 2020
Applications are open for the Newton Mosharafa PhD Programme 2020. The Newton Mosharafa PhD Programme supports Egyptian researchers to undertake a PhD at a UK higher education institution.
The Newton-Mosharafa Fund is £50 million, seven-year science and innovation partnership between the UK and Egypt. The Fund brings together the British and Egyptian scientific research and innovation sectors to find joint solutions to the challenges facing Egypt in economic development and social welfare.
Through Newton-Mosharafa, they will:
- build the skills and knowledge of British and Egyptian scientists through training and researcher mobility schemes;
- support British and Egyptian researchers to develop new innovations and partnerships in development areas;
- facilitate collaboration between universities and industry to ensure that new research can benefit all in society.
Applications are welcome in any subject or research area that is relevant to following priority themes:
- Sustainable water management
- Renewable Energy
- Sustainable food production
- Affordable and inclusive healthcare
- Environmental Protection
- Information Technology and communication
The primary outcomes of the Newton Mosharafa PhD programme will be
- Development of individual capacity through international training and development opportunities.
- Highly trained researchers in Egypt with international experience, able to contribute to the absorptive capacity for research and innovation and thus bring about economic and social benefits.
- Participation of Egyptian PhD students in international intellectual networks, building cultural understanding, and fostering long-term sustainable research collaborations.
- Development of international joint training pathways.
- Awareness of the research strength of the UK and Egypt.
- The programme covers all fees and living/travel expenses and supports both general missions (full degree scholarships 3 years), as well as joint supervisions (for students to do research for a year at a UK university as part of an Egyptian PhD).
- General Mission: Applicant’s age should not exceed 30 years by the date of the Call for Application. The executive committee may permit an extension of a maximum of two years beyond the limit of 30 after taking the opinion of the partner country for circumstances related to general good
- Joint Supervision: Age should not exceed 35 years by the date of the Call for Application.
- Position Experience: Assistant lecturer, or a research assistant, teaching assistant, or research assistant, who holds a master’s degree in mission specialisation
- For acceptance on to the scholarship, they require a minimum of IELTS 6.5. Please note, your university could have different language requirements.
- Applicant shouldn’t have received a PhD mission or scholarship before. In case the applicant has applied for a scholarship and his/her application was not decided on by the date of the Call for Application, the applicant should be dispatched to the scholarship in case his/her application is accepted and the nomination for the mission should be cancelled.
- Applicant should have finished his military service or exempted.
Applicants can apply electronically only within the call duration till October 1, 2020 at 23:50 Cairo time, through filling in all the application form and submitting scanned copies of all the required approved and stamped documents and forms on the Central Department of Missions website according to the guidance available on the Central Department of Missions website.