Amelia Earhart Fellowship 2021 for Women in Aerospace-applied Sciences/Engineering (Up to US$10,000)
Deadline: November 15, 2020
Applications for the Amelia Earhart Fellowship 2021 are now open. The Fellowship is awarded annually to up to 30 women pursuing Ph.D./doctoral degrees in aerospace-applied sciences or aerospace-applied engineering. It may be used at any university or college offering accredited post-graduate courses and degrees in these fields.
Globally, women make up less than 30 percent of the workforce in physics, computer sciences and engineering, according to U.S. News & World Report. In an effort to carry out its mission that women have access to all resources and are represented in decision-making positions on an equal basis with men, Zonta International offers the Amelia Earhart Fellowship.
Since the program’s inception in 1938, Zonta has awarded 1,638 Amelia Earhart Fellowships, totaling more than US$10.6 million, to 1,209 women representing 73 countries. Fellows have gone on to become astronauts, aerospace engineers, astronomers, professors, geologists, business owners, heads of companies, even Secretary of the US Air Force.
- Up to US$10,000 is awarded to selected fellows.
- Women of any nationality pursuing a Ph.D./doctoral degree who demonstrate a superior academic record conducting research applied to aerospace engineering or space sciences are eligible.
- It is imperative that students be registered in a full-time Ph.D./doctoral program and have completed at least one year of that program or have received a master’s degree in an aerospace-applied field at the time the application is submitted.
- Applicants must not graduate from their Ph.D. or doctoral program before April 2022. Please note that post-doctoral research programs are not eligible for the Fellowship.
- Classified members (club members and individuals with direct membership with Zonta International) and employees of Zonta International and Zonta International Foundation, and their family members (ancestors, descendants, adoptees, siblings, nieces or cousins, and those of their spouse or cohabiting partner), are not eligible to apply for the Fellowship.
- Note that previous Amelia Earhart Fellows are not eligible to apply to renew the Fellowship for a second year.
The 2021 Amelia Earhart Fellowship application deadline is November 15, 2020. Hard copy and email applications will not be accepted.
For more information, visit Amelia Earhart Fellowship.