Noirledge Anthology of Short Fiction Calls for Submissions
Deadline: October 20, 2020
Noirledge Publishing and her partners are calling for submissions for the Noirledge Anthology of Short Fiction. This opening edition will focus on short fiction by writers of African descent, and will be published in both print and digital formats.
Apart from being the year that many African countries celebrate 60 years of independence from colonial rule, 2020 has been a tumultuous year: from the global COVID-19 pandemic to Black-Lives-Matter protests that condemn and reject in unequivocal terms visible and invisible forms of anti-black violence.
On the continental front, political and socio-economic issues continue to multiply. These include terrorism and insurgencies, kidnappings and sundry criminalities, religious and ethnic conflicts, rape and domestic violence, the threat to free speech and the shenanigans of the political class, the Lassa fever epidemic and economic downturn. No doubt Africa and Africans are marked by these tragedies, as well as the many milestones and accomplishments they have made on the flipside. How have they continued to survive in spite of their realities?
This edition of the Noirledge Anthology Series is intended to chronicle the joys and frustrations of life and living in postcolonial Africa as well as celebrate the resilience of the human spirit. It is also intended to record the new pan-African solidarity that is consolidating gradually but palpably across multiple locales of the world.
- Open to published or unpublished writers of African descent of any age. They construe “writers of African descent” broadly, that is, African and African diaspora writers.
- They expect submissions to be refreshing, innovative, engaging, thought-provoking and well-written.
- Submissions are free.
- Contributors are invited to send in a single entry for consideration.
- Each entry should be a maximum of 3,500 words.
- Each entry must be original and previously unpublished.
- Each entry must be written in English and typed using Times New Roman font, at 1.5 spacing and in Microsoft Word format. Entry should also include the writer’s name and word count.
- The email in which the entry is to be sent, should contain the subject, “Entry for Short Fiction Anthology.”
- The email must also include a short bio in Microsoft Word format and a portrait photo of not more than 4MB in Jpeg format. The short bio and portrait photo should be added to the email as separate attachments.
- The writer’s short bio and portrait photo must each contain the writer’s name for easy identification.
Emails containing the aforementioned attachments should be sent to [email protected]. Submission opens on August 20, 2020 and closes October 20, 2020.
For more information, visit Noirledge.