Deadline: March 14, 2021
Applications are open for the Teach For India Fellowship Program 2021. The Teach For India Fellowship program is an opportunity for India’s brightest and most promising individuals, from the nation’s best universities and workplaces, to serve as full-time teachers to children from underserved communities in some of the nation’s most under-resourced schools.
Through this experience of teaching in classrooms and working with key education stakeholders like students, principals and parents, Fellows get exposed to the grassroot realities of India’s education system and begin to cultivate the knowledge, skills, and mindsets necessary to attain positions of leadership in education and identify their role in building a wider movement for educational equity in the country.
Fellows transform the life paths of children in their classroom, and in turn, transform themselves towards leadership in educational equity. Teach for India Fellows are placed as full-time teachers, for 2 years, in government or low-income private schools. They teach English, Mathematics, Science and Social Students, in English, across Grades 1 to 10. Teach For India Fellows teach in Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Mumbai and Pune.
- Teach For India Fellows will be paid a salary of Rs. 20,412 per month.
- If required to relocate from their home city, Fellows will be given a housing allowance ranging from Rs. 5,300 to Rs. 10,000, depending on the city in which they will stay.
- In addition, Fellows will receive an allowance for school supplies.
- You must be an Indian Citizen or an Overseas Citizen of India;
- You must have graduated with a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree by June/July 2021, and this must be your first application to the 2021 cohort of the Teach For India Fellowship;
- Fellows must possess skills such as critical thinking, problem solving, grit and have a high bar of expectations for themselves and others.
- They must demonstrate interpersonal skills through their interactions with various stakeholders, along with academic excellence.
The Teach For India Fellowship is a highly selective and coveted program, with a selectivity rate between 6% and 8.5%. Through the 3-staged process, they select the highest potential candidates into the program.
- Stage One: Your application will help them understand your experiences, your motivations to join Teach For India and why you would be a strong fit for the Fellowship. Your application includes a 1-hour online test, which focuses on your situational judgement and English language abilities. This must be completed within 72 hours (3 days) after you submit the application form. Your application will be considered complete only after you submit the test.
- Stage Two: After they have reviewed your application form and online test results, they may have some additional questions for you. If so, you will be invited to attend a 30-minute phone interview. They will ask follow-up questions to gather further information that will be helpful in their evaluation.
- Stage Three: If successful in your Application or Phone Interview, they will invite you to the Assessment Centre, which is the final stage of their selection process. Here, you will teach a 5-minute lesson, take part in a group activity and complete a short problem-solving activity. Once you clear these activities, you will be invited to an hour-long personal interview with one of Teach For India’s community members.
Based on the date that the application form is submitted, you will be a part of one of the two remaining application rounds. An applicant can apply only once during each selection cycle. Hence, be sure that you submit your best and also complete the online test within 72 hours (3 days) of submitting the form.
For more information and application, visit Teach For India.