Deadline: February 28, 2021
Applications are open for the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) Media Awards Competition 2021. The awards aim to recognise excellence in journalism in the area of print, photo, television, radio as well as to encourage media practitioners in member states to cover issues pertaining to the region.
The Awards were established following a decision by the Council of Ministers in 1996 to establish a sector that deals with matters relating to amongst others, information, culture and sport. These awards serve as part of ensuring a link, coordination and synchronisation between formal structures of SADC governments, civil society, academia, labour and the media.
Entries are invited from the following categories:
- Print Journalism: comprising features/articles published in newspapers, newsletters, websites, magazines. Print Journalism submissions should have a minimum of 100 words and a maximum of 2000 words.
- Radio Journalism: comprising broadcast material. Radio Journalism broadcast material should have a minimum duration of 1 minute and a maximum of 30 minutes. All broadcast material should be submitted on a CD or USB. The entries should be accompanied by electronic transcript in word format for translation purposes.
- Television Journalism: comprising televised material. Broadcast material should have a minimum duration of one minute and a maximum of forty-five minutes. All broadcast material should be submitted on a CD or USB. The entries should be accompanied by electronic transcript in word format for translation purposes.
- Photojournalism: comprising published pictures with a caption. Photographic entries should have 1 photo, or a pictorial spread of not more than 20 photos published in one issue/edition. Each entry must be accompanied by an original newspaper in which photo(s) were published.
The first prize winners will be announced and receive their prizes during the 39th SADC Summit of Heads of State and Government. The Awards will include Print, Radio, Television and Photo journalism.
- Each category carries a first prize of US$2,500.
- The runner-ups in each category will receive a second prize of US$1000 and will receive the prize money and certificates in their respective countries through their National Contact Point.
- The monetary prizes will be accompanied by a certificate signed by the SADC Chairperson.
- The entries should have been published/broadcast between January and December the year preceding the awards (2020) by a registered and/or authorized media house or agency or carried on a website of a registered and/or authorized media house or agency in any of the SADC Member States;
- The themes of the entries to be submitted for the competition must be on issues and activities promoting Regional Integration in the SADC region, i.e. infrastructure, economy, water, culture, sports, agriculture, etc.
- All media practitioners who are SADC nationals may enter the competition, except those in institutions contracted by SADC and the SADC Secretariat staff;
- All works entering the competition should be in one of the SADC working languages, i.e. English, Portuguese, French and any national indigenous language of the SADC Region and should be submitted together with the transcript in one of the three SADC working languages, i.e. English, French and Portuguese. These should be published/broadcast (newspaper cutting, websites, magazines, audio CDs, USB and newsletters).
All submissions must be made strictly on the SADC Media Award Entry Form and should contain full contact details of the entrant, including, passport-sized photograph, physical address, telephone and, where applicable, fax number and email address.
All entries must be submitted to the National Adjudication Committee not later than February 28, 2021.
For more information, visit SADC.