Deadline: February 24, 2021
Applications are open for interested individuals to join the Youth STEM Matters Team as Senior Journalist. The Senior Journalist works across the whole of the Youth STEM Matters team to come up with ideas for, and support team members to write, Science Communication articles which provide unique insights into STEM and global challenges.
They work specifically within the Science Communication Team, and support small groups of Science Communication Editors to improve their writing.
They are looking for someone who has a real interest in using STEM to address global challenges, and who can take a proactive approach, motivate a team, and use their experience to help others. You’ll be given training to help you in the role, but they also do a lot of ‘learning by doing’, so if you enjoy pushing yourself out of your comfort zone and trying new things, you’ll enjoy this role.
- Applicants should have an interest in STEM and/or the SDGs (note that this does not need to be your primary interest or your field of study).
- Previous experience in communicating science to others is essential. This could include (but is not limited to): blog/magazine pieces, scientific posters, videos, podcasts and presentations. This could include experience you have gained by publishing articles in Youth STEM Matters.
- Leadership experience (in any context) is desirable.
Key Skills & Personal Attributes
- Genuine interest in STEM and Sustainable Development Goals based innovations/developments.
- Proactive and can take initiative.
- Ability to generate ideas or look at things from a different perspective.
- Clear written communications.
- Excellent time management.
- Ability to give constructive feedback.
- A positive attitude towards receiving constructive feedback.
- Leadership of others.
- Someone who is keen to learn and continuously improve.
- Willing to develop an understanding of our audience.
- Willing to keep up to date with recent developments in STEM & the SDGs.
- An awareness of the importance of the accessibility of science, and how inclusive science communication can be used to achieve this
- Supportive and someone who is keen to help build a community.
- Enthusiasm for helping others and motivated to build a positive team culture.
The application deadline to to join the Youth STEM Matters Team as Senior Journalist is February 24, 2020 at 17:00 (GMT).
For more information, visit Youth STEM Matters.