YALI Regional Leadership Centre Southern Africa (YALI-RLC SA) Programme 2021 – Online Cohort 12
Deadline: March 12, 2021
Applications are invited for the YALI Regional Leadership Centre Southern Africa Programme 2021 – Online Cohort 12. The online programme is a 7 week long and comprises of lectures, online forum discussions and various activities aimed at making the learning acquired in the programme as practical and meaningful as possible. The virtual space provided by the online programme offers the flexibility needed by some individuals. One can participate in the comfort of their home, among family.
The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) is a signature effort to invest in the next generation of African leaders. The YALI Regional Leadership Center Southern Africa (RLC SA) is hosted by the University of South Africa at the Graduate School of Business Leadership in Midrand, South Africa.
The RLC SA aims to create critical thinkers who can solve complex, multidisciplinary problems; foster entrepreneurial and innovative thinking; and encourage cross-border communication and multicultural collaboration. The RLC SA develops the skills of young African leaders by providing core training in contemporary African issues, as well as specialized training in three key areas: Business and Entrepreneurship; Civic Leadership and Public Management.
The programme is open to young African leaders aged 18 – 35 years old depending on their level of experience and track record in their chosen sector.
Participants must meet the following criteria:
- Age (18-35)
- English language proficiency
- Portuguese speaking participants will be accommodated in the Mozambique Hub at UEM
- A commitment to positively impact Africa, their own countries as well as communities
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities and interest in Public Management, Entrepreneurship Development and Civic Leadership
- Commitment to serve the development agenda of the African continent
Young leaders from the following countries are eligible to participate in the programme: Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Lesotho, Malawi, Madagascar, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, Kingdom of Eswatini, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Selection for participation in the YALI RLC SA will be conducted by a selection panel which will use the following criteria to evaluate applications:
- A proven record of leadership in public service, business and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement. They can be new entrants in public and private service institutions looking to develop their leadership abilities.
- Proven record of knowledge, interest, and professional experience in the sector/track selected.
- Proven record of active engagement in public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
- Selected participants applying for the contact session must be willing to travel to the RLC SA in Midrand, Johannesburg or Maputo for the duration of the program.
- A commitment to apply leadership skills and training to benefit your country and/or community after the program.
- Good interpersonal and communications skills;
- Knowledge of youth leadership and development issues;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a small or large team setting;
- Proven computer skills;
- Cultural sensitivity;
- Positive attitude;
- Dedication, responsibility and reliability.
Over and above, the intended beneficiaries of the program include the following:
- Rural based and economically disadvantaged communities;
- Young leaders living with disabilities;
- Young leaders in lusophone countries;
- People who are HIV positive or who are living with AIDS;
- Organisations that represent and advocate for the rights of LGBTI communities across the region.
Application for Online Programme Cohort 12 is open until March 12, 2021 (23:59 South Africa Standard Time).
For more information, visit YALI RLC SA.