Deadline: May 17, 2021
Entries are open for the Africa’s Got Style Fashion Design Competition. Africa’s Got Style is a freestyle online fashion design competition open to both concept stage and realized works designed by professionals, young fashion designers, illustrators, or enthusiast open to African 54 states. Africa’s Got Style Fashion Design Competition aims to support designers who can combine “African textiles and styles to make innovative wears”.
Cultural exchange is at the helm of African Got style goals. The contest will have 108 contestants in participation and 5 winners, with the first winning a cash prize of $1000 dollars to assist with their brand launch and other great prizes like sponsorship, endorsement, equipment empowerment as vast as our partnerships.
The show invites clothing in these categories:
- Corporate wears
- Casual wears
- Party wears
- Dinner Wears
- Uniforms/ Costumes
These categories of clothing can fall under any sex or age and can be embellished with any fashion accessories or jewellery. However, whatever accessory or jewellery a contestant wears in the competition should be credited to the designer if known. Contestants can create their own style or use an existing style in an Afrocentric way.
- Cash Prizes: $1000 (1st winner) $500 (2nd winner) $300 (3rd winner)
- Winners are provided with marketing and communication services to promote their brand
- The 5 winning designs will appear on Africa’s Got Style Fashion book which will be available worldwide. Furthermore winning designs will also appear in magazines, newspapers and webzines.
- The winners will appear in Africa’s Got Style TV viewed globally.
- AGS connects emerging designers with design companies and producers
- and many more…
- Open to African Fashion designers, illustrator or enthusiast
- Participants must design innovative pieces from Africa root traditional textiles and fabrics
- Designs must fall under the above clothing categories
- New and emerging designers are encouraged to apply
The contest is structured in a way that involves community participation where contestants will be voted by the community before judges will pick the winners. There are three rounds of the contest as explained below.
- First Round: contestants will submit two images (front and back) of their design which will be posted on AGS Facebook, Instagram and Twitter pages where the community can vote and the 54 designs with the highest vote moves to the second round.
- Second Round: the 54 winners of the first round will be given one week to submit two designs made with the same fabric but different styles
- Final Round: the 20 highest voted design form the second round will submit a video pitch of how they will innovate from African textiles and styles
How To Apply
Application is free
- Fill the form and attach your fashion mood board and a word or pdf presentation containing the inspiration behind your design, materials used and how they were sourced and the story behind your design
- Each submitted application, in its entirety, must be an original concept created by but not necessarily sewn by the Contest entrant.
- Contestants will be selected based on Africa’s Got Style discretion. All Applicants will be notified and announced by May 30th 2021.
For more information, visit Africa’s Got Style.