Bonn SDG Fellowships 2021 for Postdoctoral Scientists (Funded)
Deadline: May 31, 2021
Applications are open for the Bonn SDG Fellowships 2021. The aim of this funding line is to invite postdoctoral scientists in all areas of specialization that conduct research primarily on a topic addressed in the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as set forth by the United Nations in its Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development.
The scientists should research and teach at the University of Bonn for one or two semesters. The funding is for a period of at least 3 and not more than 12 months. The University of Bonn currently has a large number of collaborations with universities and research institutes in Africa, Asia and South America.
As shown by the SDG index, implementing the Sustainable Development Goals poses considerable challenges for many countries in these regions. Based on the 17th Sustainable Development Goal, “Partnerships for the Goals”, researchers in the above-mentioned regions are given preference for the Bonn SDG Fellowships. The goal is to support talented researchers and build and strengthen networks through them.
The funding can cover the following:
- A travel allowance (depending on country of origin);
- A scholarship of €3,000 per month (additional funds for family members: up to €300 for a spouse and €250 per child);
- A research expense allowance of up to €500 per month can be submitted to the International Office after the fellowship has been awarded. Information on applying for the allowance will be provided with your fellowship award.
- Open to Postdoctoral scientists (with foreign citizenship), who research or teach at a university or research institute in Africa, Asia and South America.
- Should demonstrate proven expertise in an area of research from the thematic spectrum of the SDGs.
- The quality of the research project to be worked on during the stay in Bonn.
- Work on a topic that contributes to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as set forth by the United Nations in its Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development.
- Relevance of the research topic to developments in the region of origin.
- The fellow’s contribution to academic life in Bonn (e.g. via public lectures, seminars or colloquiums).
- The fellow’s integration into the host institute (place of work, integration into existing teaching and research activities).
- Follow-on value: a plan for future collaboration projects between the fellow and the host institute in Bonn.
Application should include:
- Project description (PDF of max. 8 pages), consisting of:
- An outline of the research project to be worked on during the fellow’s stay in Bonn.
- Reasons for the fellow’s invitation and a description of his or her contribution to research and teaching at the University of Bonn, an outline of the activities through which the fellow will enrich university life at the University of Bonn during his or her stay there.
- An overview of the collaboration between the applicant and the fellow so far.
- An outline of the integration of the fellow into the host institute (place of work, participation in teaching and research activities).
- An outline of follow-on value: (a) plan for the outcome of the stay, (b) plan for growing the collaboration in the future.
- Fellow’s CV (PDF)
- A financing plan (please use the following Excel table – download here)
For more information, visit Bonn SDG Fellowships.