ASEAN Photo Competition 2021 for Youth in Southeast Asia ($2,000 USD Prize)
Deadline: April 30, 2021
Applications are open for the ASEAN Photo Competition 2021. They are inviting young and talented photographers aged 18 – 30 years old from 10 ASEAN Member States to submit a photo story on the theme of “#ASEANYouth Shaping the Vision of Sustainable Energy as the New Normal.”
The photo competition, which is one of competition series under ASEAN Youth Energy Awards (AYEA 2021), aims to contribute to the awareness of the benefits of sustainable energy (solar, wind, hydro, tidal, and biofuel) paving the way for ASEAN’s cleaner and greener future.
- Based on the photo story submissions, the 10 youth from 10 ASEAN Member States will be selected to participate in a virtual visual storytelling workshop in June 2021.
- The final photography projects from 10 finalists will be submitted to a Technical Evaluation Committee and a total prize of 2,000 USD will be awarded to the Top 3 Winners and the People’s Choice Award Winner, announced at the 39th ASEAN Ministers on Energy Meeting 2021
- Open to creative and talented youth that holds an ASEAN Member State passport (Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, The Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam) and resides in the country of citizenship.
- Amateur photographers and interested youth are encouraged to apply. Note: Professional photographers who are full-time employees or contributors of established media outlets and/or have their own photography firms are not eligible to participate.
- The applicants must be aged 18 to 30 years old at the time of the deadline of submission on April 30, 2021.
- Selected finalists must be able to communicate fluently in both spoken and written English to be able to participate in the virtual workshop.
- Selected finalists must have active Facebook and Gmail accounts for ease of communication with the trainer and other participants.
The technical evaluation committee will evaluate the photo submission. The selection criteria are outlined below:
- Adherence to the theme: The photo story clearly and creatively represents the theme of “#ASEANYouth Shaping the Vision of Sustainable Energy as the New Normal” through positive youth perspectives;
- Originality and creativity: The content is unique and not derived from other ideas and addresses the theme in an original and compelling way;
- Visual techniques: The visual content is attractive to viewers through composition and technique; and
- Potential viewer impact: The photo story conveys personal or aspirational thoughts that are inspiring to viewers.
Following the evaluation process, ten participants will be selected to participate in a virtual visual storytelling workshop in June 2021.
- Each visual narrative entry must clearly and creatively address the theme “#ASEANYouth Shaping the Vision of Sustainable Energy as the New Normal” in 10 – 15 photos, including its short narrative. The content of the image must not be changed or manipulated by rearranging, adding, or deleting individuals and/or items from within the picture. Color modifications or transformations to grayscale that do not change the content are allowed. The narrative (minimum 800 characters or 160 words) should be in English, or if created in local language it should be complemented with English translation.
- The applicant should upload their photo story related to the above-mentioned theme on their respective social media channels and tag @aseanfoundation @aseanenergy with hashtags #SustainableEnergyastheNewNormal #SwitchtoSustainableEnergy.
- Complete the application form and upload all attachments as requested. Please submit the photo story that shows the benefits of sustainable energy in your community and/or the contribution of people around you to the sustainable energy (SE).
For more information, visit ASEAN Photo Competition.