Matsumae International Foundation (MIF) Research Fellowship Program 2022 (Fully-funded)
Deadline: June 30, 2021
Applications are open for the Matsumae International Foundation (MIF) Research Fellowship Program 2022. Upon the concept of the founder of the Matsumae International Foundation (MIF), “Towards A Greater Understanding of Japan and a Lasting World Peace”, MIF started the Research Fellowship Program in 1980.
The fellowship aims to open a path to peace and prosperity on the basis of mutual understanding by bringing together active young research workers of outstanding character to Japan. By deepening their understanding of Japan, and establishing links of trust and friendship, the Foundation seeks to make a real contribution to permanent peace throughout the world.
The following financial supports are provided to successful applicants. Fellowships are provided to the successful applicants only, and intended for necessary living expenses and research activities in Japan. Under no circumstances, this fellowship is transferable.
- Monthly Allowance – JPY 220,000/month is provided for the purpose of expenses for research materials and living expenses.
- Insurance – Overseas Travel Accident/Sickness Insurance:
- Personal accident insurance with death benefit and medical treatment.
- Sickness insurance with death benefit and medical treatment.
- Air Transportation – Round-trip air tickets: Economy class, the most direct and economical route between the nearest international airport from the successful applicant’s domicile and Tokyo.
- Start-up Fund upon Arrival – JPY120,000 is provided to cover the initial costs to start a new research stay in Japan.
Applicant of non-Japanese nationality who meets all the following eligibility requirements is invited to submit application documents.
- Applicant must obtain Letter of Invitation from Host Institution in Japan.
- Applicant must hold Ph.D. (Doctoral degree).
- Applicant must be at the age of 49 years old or younger at the time when application documents are submitted.
- Applicant must have sufficient abilities in the English or Japanese languages.
- Applicant should not have past or current experiences of staying in Japan. (Except for short-term stay such as sightseeing and conferences)
- Applicant must have an occupation in your home county, return there upon completion of your fellowship tenure and should contribute to development of your country.
Host Institution in Japan
Applicant is free to choose a host institution (universities, national research institutions or the corresponding facilities in private sector) to carry out your research. You must obtain acceptance from a host institution prior to submitting your application.
All of the following documents must be converted to Adobe PDF by item and submitted to MIF by email. All the documents must be typed in English and inadequate documents are not subject to screening.
- Application Form
- Research Project
- The Most Significant Publication by Applicant
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Recommendation Letter
- Soft Copies of Academic Certificates/Diplomas for Ph.D., Master, Bachelor
- Invitation Letter
Your application documents must be submitted to the following email address: [email protected]
For more information, visit MIF Fellowship.