Deadline: April 30, 2021
The Magnum Foundation and the Inge Morath Estate are pleased to announce the 20th annual Inge Morath Award, a $5,000 grant given to a woman photographer under the age of 30 to support the completion of a long-term documentary project. One finalist will also receive a $1,000 grant in support of their project.
Inge Morath was an Austrian-born photographer who was associated with Magnum Photos for nearly fifty years. After her death in 2002, the Inge Morath Foundation was established with a limited-term mission to manage Morath’s estate and facilitate the study and appreciation of her contribution to photography. With the closure of the research space in 2014, the Inge Morath archive was acquired by the Beinecke Library at Yale University, and a set of Morath’s master prints by the Yale University Art Gallery, where they are now available to scholars.
- Open to any photographer that identifies as female or non-binary.
- Applicant must be under the under the age of 30.
- All submissions must consist of work done solely by the submitting photographer. IM Award recipient and finalist grant the Magnum Foundation a license to reproduce, display and distribute their submissions solely in connection with the administration and judging of the Inge Morath Award, including on the Magnum Foundation website and the Inge Morath Estate website. IM Award recipient agree that any future publication, exhibition or display of the funded project shall credit the Inge Morath Estate and the Magnum Foundation. Recipient(s) may be required to provide additional identifying information prior to receiving payment.
- Upon completion of the funded project, a final (digital) copy must be provided to the Magnum Foundation. The Foundation, in furtherance of its charitable purposes, may, in the future, (1) display the project on its website and make it available for display on the website of the Inge Morath Estate; and (2) publicly display the project (or excepts from it) in connection with exhibitions or promotional materials related to the Inge Morath Award. The Foundation will credit the artist as the author and copyright holder of her photographs.
- Photographers represented by Magnum Photos and their immediate relatives are not eligible. Employees and members of the Magnum Foundation, Magnum Photos and Inge Morath Estate are ineligible to apply for this grant.
Submit early to avoid any technical hiccups on the submissions portal, as they do not accept late submissions. All applications must be submitted by April 30, 2021, 11:59PM EST.
For more information, visit Inge Morath Award.