Deadline: June 1, 2021
Applications are open for the AIMS PhD in Data Science 2021. This doctoral training program established by the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) Rwanda will provide emerging African scientists the opportunity to conduct research at the forefront of data science, and work towards a PhD degree within a high-quality training program in Africa, in cooperation with institutions internationally.
The program will focus on theoretical foundations of data science as well as applications of data science to improve the daily lives of Africans. It is built on the understanding that modern approaches in data science require a combination of expertise spanning the areas of mathematics, statistics, computer science, and the applied sciences.
AIMS will be offering up to seven fully-funded PhD positions in this prestigious new doctoral program. The recruited students will be based in Rwanda at AIMS Rwanda, or any of the other AIMS centers, in partnership with universities and research institutions across Africa and globally. The program aims to train future change-makers, who will have an impact across academia, industry, education, and government.
- The program is fully funded providing stipend, equipment, health insurance, relocation costs, conference attendance, direct cost to graduating institution such as tuition fees and registration fees.
- Applicant should have Master’s degree (completed by September 2021) in mathematics, statistics, computer science, engineering, physics or other relevant fields;
- Sufficient theoretical foundations evidenced by prior work (courses/thesis/other training);
- Qualification for pursuing research on the chosen topic, including relevant programming expertise;
- Research potential evidenced by academic performance and involvement in relevant academic activities;
- Motivation for pursuing a PhD by research in the suggested topic;
- Being an African national.
The selection process is competitive, and conducted in two phases:
Phase 1: You will be asked to submit the following documents
- Application Form
- CV (you can use your own format, but please make sure to cover at least all items mentioned in this template that apply to your case)
- Transcripts (Please submit both your undergraduate and your masters level transcripts. Additional transcripts can be submitted if relevant.)
Phase 2: A small number of shortlisted candidates will be invited to round 2 of the selection process. In Phase 2, supervision teams are formed and applicants discuss with potential supervisors more details on their research plans. As part of Phase 2, applicants are asked to submit a detailed research proposal.
For more information, visit AIMS PhD in Data Science.