Deadline: June 25, 2021
Applications are open for the African Union Innovating Education in Africa 2021. Innovating Education in Africa (IEA) was established in 2018 by the African Union (AU) with the aim of identifying, promoting and supporting the systemic adoption and replication of education innovations in all aspects of education and training in Africa.
The event showcased 50 education innovations selected from across Africa and held policy dialogues with policy makers and development stakeholders to make the case for embedding innovation in education systems in Africa, and endorsing the implementation of the continental programme. In 2019 the event was held on a much larger scale with strengthening of partnerships with key education development organisations across Africa, such as EU, GIZ, ADEA, Mastercard Foundation, ONE, GeSCI, UNICEF and Ashoka. In 2020, Innovating Education in Africa was held as a series of virtual activities due to the COVID-19 pandemic with more than 300 submissions received from 31 African countries. Since the inception of the program, over 1,500 education stakeholders have been engaged, 140 innovations have been promoted, and 24 organisations implementing innovations have been supported with grants of 423,000 USD.
Successful applicants will benefit from one or more of the following:
- Receive grants of up to $100,000 USD to implement pilot projects in collaboration with AU Member States.
- Promotion and publicity of Innovation to AU Member States and Development Partners, including publication in the Africa Education Innovations Handbook 2021 and future invitation to participate in AU events and programs.
- Certificate of recognition from the African Union Commissioner for Education, Science, Technology and Innovation.
Applications will be accepted from AU Member State citizens who lead an organisation that meets the following criteria:
- Implementing or piloting an education innovation in one or more AU Member States;
- Legally registered and operational for not less than 1 year;
- Directly responsible for the implementation and management of the innovation, i.e., not acting as an intermediary;
- Should not have been a previous grant recipient under Innovating Education in Africa.
Submissions should be made online in English or French, with the following information:
- Brief statement of the problem you are trying to solve (100 words).
- Describe your innovation, specifically how it functions and the implementation approach (500 words).
- Justification of how the innovation can be implemented on a large scale sustainably, given the prevalent challenges in the African context (250 words).
- The number of people that have already used the innovation.
- Legal documentation of business registration and operation.
- Video demonstration of your innovation (optional).
Deadline for submissions is June 25, 2021 by 23:00 (GMT+3). Enquiries should be sent to [email protected].
For more information, visit African Union.