Youth Leadership Academy 2021 for Aspiring Young Malaysians
Applications are Youth Leadership Academy 2021 are now open. The Youth Leadership Academy aims to equip aspiring young Malaysians with skills and coaching that will enable them to become successful leaders of change.
YLA is a program that consists of 4 main pillars to develop the skills, knowledge and experience you need to fulfill your potential:
- 3 Workshops supplemented by 3 training sessions, to build your problem-solving and leadership capabilities: led by McKinsey & Company consultants who will teach you how to approach, dissect and tackle problems through problem solving methods they use in their engagements, with support from distinguished speakers that will inspire and instill confidence.
- Speaker Series: wherein influential leaders in Malaysia share experiences from their leadership journeys, and small steps you can take to achieve your ambitions. Past speakers include: Datuk Seri Amir Hamzah Azizan (former CEO of TNB), Gökhan Öğüt (CEO of Maxis), Mark Chang (CEO of JobStreet), Dato’ Seri Nazir Razak (former Chairman of CIMB Group), Sajith Sivanandan (Managing Director of Google) and Dato’ Shahril Ridza Ridzuan (CEO of EPF).
- A social entrepreneurship project: that you will define, develop and pilot with your team. Throughout this project, a McKinsey & Company faculty member will be your project adviser to support you and your team as you turn ideas into clear initiatives and actions.
- Personal mentoring/coaching: from a host of distinguished mentors, who will share their experiences on topics ranging from career choices and work-life balance to what made them leaders today. Past mentors include: Johan Merican (former CEO of TalentCorp), Chen Chow (Co-founder of Fave) and Dzameer Dzulklifi (Founder and former MD of Teach for Malaysia).
- YLA is a diverse and select group of up to 50 of the most talented and driven Malaysian full-time students currently studying at a university in Malaysia.
- They are looking for candidates who have demonstrated strong leadership potential, personal drive, and a passion and energy for making a difference in their community and country. It does not matter what field you are currently studying (law, engineering, accounting, interior design, etc.) as they are interested in your leadership potential, strong sense of achievement, and track record of wanting to be a leader and making a change.
- The age limit is 28 years old.
YLA participants will be selected based on;
- A combination of their personal achievements
- Leadership experiences
- Communication skills in addition to their academic track record
Tips for crafting a good application: Pay attention to the “Motivation for joining YLA” section. Take time to reflect on the questions and your experiences, focus on the ‘why’ and ‘how’, not just the ‘what’ and feel free to be your true self! They are hoping to understand you better as a person, with your unique background and experiences, not to be impressed by how many complicated words you know.