AstraZeneca Step Up! Young Health Global Grants Program 2021 (up to US $10,000)
Deadline: July 21, 2021
Applications are open for the AstraZeneca Step Up! Young Health Global Grants Program 2021. The Step Up! Global Grants Program, provided by AstraZeneca’s Young Health Program, empowers small, youth-focused non-profit organisations to make change happen by enabling them to increase their impact and operate at a greater scale.
Over the last three years, Step Up! has provided over $400,000 in grants to support organisations to develop and deliver effective health promotion programmes – with an emphasis on under-resourced communities in low- and middle-income countries.
Climate change and non-communicable diseases (NCDs) are two defining challenges of the 21st century, each posing significant threats to health and sustainable development. Innovation is needed in order to face up to the climate and health challenges facing young people today. This year, they are looking to support projects which promote environmental sustainability while at the same time reducing NCD risk factors among young people.
- Grants of up to US $10,000 will be awarded to support the delivery of approximately 20 projects which:
- Reduce NCD risk factors for young people while combating climate change through sustainable environmental solutions
- Address the needs of vulnerable young people (10-30 years old) in under-resourced communities
- Reach an appropriate number of young people according to the scale of the local need
- Can provide evidence at the conclusion of the project of what has been delivered, as well as outcomes and what has been learned
- Are managed by non-profits with an annual income of US$1 million or less
- Can be completed within a 12 month period, not starting before February 2022.
- In addition to the funding, Step Up! grantees will be invited to join AstraZeneca’s Young Health Program (YHP) Alumni Group. This offers learning and development opportunities, as well as networking between StepUp! grantees and young leaders who have received YHP Scholarships.
- In the past, Alumni Members have been offered mini-MBA programs, opportunities to share their work with global audiences, and masterclasses on fundraising and digital skills to build effective health-promotion programs.
- Open to registered charitable organisations with strong experience of delivering effective projects which make health and environmental improvements in young people’s lives.
- Organisations must be ‘funding-ready’ and able to provide appropriate documentation (in English) to verify their organisation’s charitable status and financial situation.
- They will support organisations from under-resourced communities worldwide. These are likely to be in low-income or lower-middle income countries or settings.
- Organisations which have been funded previously by AstraZeneca are welcome to apply, but not for the same project that was previously supported.
Step Up! always receives a high number of applications and they are unable to support all eligible organisations which apply. In selecting applications, they will prioritise a project if it:
- Addresses nutrition
- Utilises technology or digital health solutions in an inclusive way
- Is innovative: delivering something different from which they can learn (an existing approach in a new setting linked to a particular need, or a totally new approach)
- Is youth-led (i.e. primarily youth managed/designed)
- Involves young people as advocates for change in their communities
- Is run by an organisation with an income and capacity to deliver a grant of this size
- Is from an organisation which has not yet been supported by a StepUp! grant
- Operates in a low or lower-middle income country or setting
Submit your application by Wednesday 21 July (midnight, in your timezone). The application form can be saved and revisited on an ongoing basis. It does not need to be completed at one time.
For more information, visit Step Up.